Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with 205 rebuild

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Aug 3, 2003.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'm rebuilding my GM 205 transfer case from and 87 pickup. One of the shifing forks is a little marred up on both "fork" end surfaces. Is that OK?

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Anyone?? I wanna put it back together today if the fork is OK.

Eric M.

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if it was that way when u took it apart & it slides in the case alright i say go for it?

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

try to smooth it out with some emery cloth and polish it up a bit...also check the groove that the fork rides in in the shift collar for and irregularities...The forks are stationary and the collars spin, therefore you want it as smooth as possible or you will have abnormal wear promlem and possible noise..

Chris

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

come to think of it...I think the forks have a raised "pad" towards the end of each side of the fork...it is the machined surfaces of this pad that is of importance...not the entire cast fork surface...

Chris

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

"marred" metal is usually never good. It's a sign that something has gone wrong (foreign matter or lack of lubrication). It may be fine for a little while but will probably need replacing along with the mating shift collar. It's your choice. Put it together and gamble and hope nothing happens, or do it now and not worry about that problem.... I know I never win at gambling (I reason I won't go to Vegas), so I would replace it, but others have better luck than I do, so go with what makes you comfortable. You will probably pay $50 -$100 for the matching clutch ring and shift fork, so that may factor into your decision.