Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help with 208 tcase

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Mar 27, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

some history
    a month after i bought my truck, the tranny went out. when i drained the tcase, i got nothing /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif i filled it back up and the front output seal was leaking bad so i put one of those in.

that was in october

today while i was removing the front drive shaft, i couldn't turn it, hubs were unlocked, tcase in 2hi. so i backed my truck up to remove the rest of the bolts. when it came out the front diff yoke moved freely and the tcase yoke would not turn. the tcase was still in 2 hi. i moved the shifter in and out of 2hi and no change.

the shifter enguages N and 4lo at the correct spot. so i dont think the linkage is out of adjustment. also the front output bearing is a little loose. it wasn't like that when i put the seal in /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

anyone got any ideas?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Your selector forks may be shot. I bought a case that one of the forks (range or mode) I don't know which was shot on. It would only engage 4lo and nothing else. It was always locked in 4 wheel drive. I would pop the back half of the case off (easiest out of the truck) and see what you can see.

208's aren't that hard to rebuild. I rebuilt mine without any real knowledge on them. I rebuilt it as I went. I used the exploded diagram I got at the GM dealer as my map.

Harley

3. big83chevy4x4

how long did it take you to rebuild, any special tools?
    im thinking about rebuilding it if i can't find a 241 to replace it with.

4. Hossbaby50

I ended up using about 1 month of time to rebuilt it but in all actuality the time I spent on it was only like 8-10 hours or less. Part of the problem was getting a part I needed that I couldnt find. Then I found it threw Drivetrain.com

I didn't need and "special tools". Standard tools was about it. All the holds everything in the case for the most part is big C-clips. They are kind of a PITA to get out but once they are out it is all good.

Just work on it in a clean area. And be ready for about 80 needle bearing to fall all over the damn place when you pull out the rear part of the main shaft. I learned the hard way.

It is not hard to get the bearings for the 208's either threw Napa, GM, or Drivetrain.com. I dont know exactly where to get the range or mode fork at though if they are eaten up. Internet has them I am sure.

Harley

5. Hossbaby50

Oh ya, if your range and mode forks don't have the little plastic PVC thingys on the ends and in the middle of the gear you NEED them. otherwise the fork will eat itself on there gears and it is nasty when they do that.

Harley

6. big83chevy4x4

im not conserned about the parts. i got a spare 208 with a broken case for the hard parts, and im hooked up with rebuild kits throught my auto trany parts suplier /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. Hossbaby50

tear the old case apart to learn, then dig into yours to see what the problem is. Try the linkage first obviously but then if that isn't it start wrenching.

Harley

8. big83chevy4x4

i think im gonna rebuild the other one and just swap them out so my truck isn down, its my dd. i will just leave the front shaft off till i get it done.