Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help with 454 ::urgent::

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big'nBadK5, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

OK so today i'm trying to fire over the 454 and all it'll do is cranks and sputter a little bit, then it'll backfire through the carb. I'm really stuck on this one any suggestions on that it could be? i chacked and re aligned the distributor twice, checked the plug wires multiple times, loosened the rockers thinking that they may have been to tight and allowing the backfiring. i'm just really stuck and super frustrated. thanks a bunch.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

check the plug wires & make shure they go around the distibuter the right way. also it sounds like u have the dist. 180 degrees out.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

backfiring through carb is usually a lean condition which could be caused by timing..have you put a timing light on it yet? try starting it by pouring fuel down the carb??

4. Big'nBadK5

the distributor is in correctly as far as i can tell and the wires are definatley on right unless the firing order isint 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. as far as the lean condition in the carb goes the car wont actually run. it doesnt idle, it wont even start. it is compleatley dead in the water. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

sounds to me liek the dist, is out 180* i aint callin ya stupid...but b sure it is on the compression stroke at TDC. when i put mine in....i even messed this part of it up. i didnt have it on the compression stroke and it had me all sorts of confused. finally took it out and started all over and she fired right up.

NITRO

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

when you say it backfires, is it a flameing backfire?? or just raw fuel blowing back??

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

OKay, find TDC (remove the #1 plug, and turn the engine over by with a breaker bar while holding your finger in the plug hole)when you fell a ton of air rushing by your finger, stop and then continue to rotate so the balancer is at 0*...Then pull the dist cap and the rotor should be pointing at the #1 plug terminal...

That will verify the dist is close to 0*...you can advance it a bit for easier starting...

The verify plug wires..go 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and TRACE every wire form the cap to the correct cylinder...

Then spray a bit of starting fluid down the carb and give it a try...

if it still back fires and won't start, reset the valves...teake to zero lash and an extra 1/2 to 3/4 turn)

Also are you sure the cam is installed correctly...just go through everyhting and check it to narrow it down /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

8. Big'nBadK5

Turnned out that the cam was 180 out... yep i'm retarded. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Thanks for all the help though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

::Update::

Ok, i still cant get the thing to kick over. i put a new carb on it, re-aligned the cam, and re set the distributor and wires. just to double check how should the marks on the cam sprockets go? other then that i am totally at a loss for what could be wrong..

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Check if you have spark but holding a plug (that is removed and in the plug wire boot) to a peice of grounded metal (ie: frame, header, etc...) and get someone to roll over your engine. If you see spark then thats probably not your problem. But this is a easy one to check. Also, don't hold it on the spark plug itself but on the rubber boot! \

Double check the lifters because I had that problem of tightening them down too much. The first time I "loosened" them I did the same thing I did when I originally set them up. What I did the second time to loosen them was just loosen them until there was no tension on them but enough to keep the pushrod seated on the rocker. Then she fired right up.