Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with 700R4. Should be simple.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Jan 22, 2004.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I just found out my front seal is leaking on my 700R4. I don't want to pay the ridiculous amount for someone to drop it and replace it for me so I need some insight. Anything to watch out for while dropping it? Any special tips since I do not have a tranny jack? Does the seal need to be pressed in with a special tool? I'll probably replace the rear seal as well since I will have it dropped. What is involved in adjusting the TV cable? Any help, pointers or insight is greatly appreciated.

2. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It may not be the front seal. It could be the oil pump seal, the front seal or both. If you are going to have it out I would replace both, just for insurance. I just got done doing and having this done. Watch out for the tranny lines!!! I can't stress that enough. I was able to get mine out with no problems but putting them back in was a pain, to say the least. If you are gonna replace seals you might as well replace the TV cable seal and the dipstick tube seal while you are at it. The rear seal is very easy to change, just an o-ring that slides over the end of the case, in my case anyway (700-NP208). Ohh and be sure to disconnect the TV cable before letting the tranny down /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

to replace the front seal with the pump still in the trans is kinda a pain in the but, there is a special tool to make this SOOOO much easier but it is like $75. the seal is just a metal clad seal, so just pry it out and tap the new one in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I guess to add on to what was already said, make sure to use a tubing wrench on the cooling lines. You don't want those rounded!