Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with 78 Caddy Calipers w/park brake!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Having read the warnings from people like Shawn about not turning the park brake nut; I left my caddy calipers alone in the box & didn't touch them. The piston is out a little though as they were shipped. Problem is that with the new pads in them; they won't fit over my new rotors!! [​IMG]
    I need them to go back approx. 3/16 of an inch. They look like there's enough room for the piston to move back but how do I do it?? A special trick; special tool??

Help!!!!

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Either the calipers weren't assembled correctly or someone turned the e-brake nut/arm pushing the piston out. If you bought them locally, take them back and exchange them. If bought thru TSM, call them and see what they suggest. Mine went over the rotors with about 1/8" clearance. Are you sure you have the correct rotors? Are both calipers the same? If so, I suspect they were assembled incorrectly.

A good firm grip is my idea of gun control!

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yeah Sparky

I bought them locally but I'm not sure there's even enough room for the rotor. The caliper I bought is for a 78 Caddy Eldorado & the rotors are 1.25 " thick Chevy 3/4 ton 8-lug ones. Were the pistons on yours advanced any when you got them or were they flush with the housing?

Thanks

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You can turn them back, you have to get a large vice grips or something and manually turn the piston back, I had to do this on mine.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

what is the going price on these calipers?
    anyone have a great deal online?