Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with 90' K5 pullin to the right

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by harley99fxdl, Apr 16, 2002.

1. harley99fxdl

harley99fxdl Newbie

Need help with 90\' K5 pullin to the right

Hey guys. I have a 1990' K5 Blazer. I just bought the truck, and lifted it. Before the lift, the truck would track straight down the road, or at least as well as expected, but when you hit the brakes, it would sort of duck to the right. It felt like a pull. I figured I had some brake work to address, and put that behind the lift, which I was itching to get done. I installed a 4" Skyjacker suspension lift, along with new rear springs, and changed wheels and tires from the stock wheels and 31x10.5's to 35" ProComp tires and Pacer rims. Now, the problem with the pulling to the right, is even worse. I replaced both front calipers, pads and hoses, and bled the system twice. Still, no change. I looked for anything loose underneath, bent frame, and nothing stands out. I have had the truck to two shops, now including a local Chevy dealer, and all I get is "We Dunno man". I noticed that the original steering dampener has a Superlift shock on it, and it has some time on it, which I should be replacing with a dual shock steering dampener this week. But, will it stop the pull? Doubt it. I also had a brake light staying on and sometimes flashing 6"s at me. I figured in the beginning of all this, that I must have a brake problem. The dealer tells me for $500, they can swap a faulty speed sensor and the ECU, but wont promise me that this will fix anything except a light. I traced the brake line from the ABS unit to the front. I don't see any proportioning valve to suspect, but just the T fitting, under the front end, which if it bleeds, why should I suspect? The system looks to me like it is not set up to differentiate from the right and left font wheels. In other words, I feel I have eliminated the hydraulic/mechanical issues, and that nothing computer/sensor related, could result in the pull. Am I off on this? I did have the truck aligned after the lift. Except for my steering wheel a little to the right, when tracking down the road straight, I felt like everything was cool. So, I am now spending money for people to scratch their heads. At present, the best way I can describe the problem is that when you hit the brakes, at any speed, especially over 25mph, you see the steering wheel bump a little to the left, and then the tuck pulls hard right. Any suggestions? I even threatened the truck with a Ford emblem, until the problem was resolved. Any help would be appreciated. My email address is harley99fxdl@yahoo.com, so if you got burned on this one before and could help me out with the answer, please email me there. Thanks, John, Virginia Beach, VA.

2. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Re: Need help with 90\' K5 pullin to the right

check your rear brakes.
    Some times a shoe will over adjust or one wont adjust and can cause it to pull under braking.

my.02

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

my 89 k5 does the same thing and i was talkin to one of the mechanics who has a 89 burb with the same lift and stuff as mine and his does the same thing, we concluded that the front end dives under braking and the lenght of the draglink stays the same therefore it pushed the wheels to the right since the pitman arm stays stationary and you have to steer left to take up the difference in distance, just one of the flaws of the stock steering, and my brakes are brand new, just something to think about

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

mine does it too, also, as the axle rotates a little bit, the toe in might change, causing an out of alignment situation