Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP with a C20

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Insomnya3AM, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Insomnya3AM

Insomnya3AM Registered Member

Hello everyone! I've searched on a ton of forums and I've lurked here a long time. You'all seem very knowledgable and my truck is from your years.

My truck: 1985 C20 2wd 3speed.
    My purpose: Use it as a tow rig so I can build a really not-road-legal K30.

My problem: The truck is tired. It needs a front-end rebuild for sure. The thing is that nobody has any bushing kits for it. They are all for the 1/2 ton truck. Some people mentioned that I have the same front suspension as a Burban, but I have no clue.

Any answers folks? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Would love to help you but I dont have any 2wd trucks :shame: Have you tried contacting energy suspension? Id give them a call, if they dont have them maybe they know who does. They have bushings for almost everything, or so I thought. Ill ask my friend, he has a 69 C20 and I believe he got bushings for it. I imagine if he could find bushings for that truck one could find bushings for a 85. Good luck with the search and post your findings.

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

I did a quick search on JCWhitney and got this: ZX816163B $185 (OW) but its ALL the bushings on the truck, not just the front end ones... they are also ployurethane, so the wont have as much give as rubber OEMs

If you want Rubber , I know LMC Truck (and maybe Chevyduty) sell them and you would be able to buy just the front end parts. (Fit isnt that great... but it works)

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You might check out eatonsprings too...I know they do leaf spring bushings, maybe they offer 2wd front spring bushings as well.

Informed response to the email I sent them.

5. Insomnya3AM

Thanks for the responses! I'm going to follow up all of these leads.

What I'm looking for is a poly kit that includes the WHOLE TRUCK, every bit I can get. I'm tearing it down and re-doing everything that serves a functional purpose. Most kits don't include the control arm bushings, but it sounds like some ideas above just might.

Thanks guys. I'll post up what happens.

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had mine replaced (85 C20) when it was about 10 years old, and I thought they said they were steel bushings? Have you checked Moog or TRW?

7. dyeager535

Personally I'd stay away from poly, but that's me. Cheaper than rubber that I've seen so far though.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

There's no rubber on 3/4-ton A-arm pivots. :rolleyes: It's all metal - steel? bronze maybe?

The stuff is available. I hven't had to buy any though as it seems there's always another truck to steal parts from. They only wear out when they are not routinely greased.

If you go with used stuff, you could upgrade to 1-ton knuckles & brakes in the process :D

9. dyeager535

No rubber??

New one to me, but I also haven't torn down any truck front ends either!

10. Insomnya3AM

What all would I have to replace to beef to the one-ton setup? Can I get a bit of a parts list? I tried searching.

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Lower ball joints, knuckles, rotors, calipers, brake hoses. Thats what it took to do mine.