Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with a quick. toolless fix!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I seem to have something wedged between my tire and the rim that is causing it to leak air at a fairly rapid rate. I found a small rock in there and dug it out, but the tire is still leaking at the bead. It has had anywhere from <5 to 35 pounds and still can't get it figured out. I am not at home with my REAL tools, all I have is a flashlight and a screwdriver. Any ideas?

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

You have a compressor strong enough to re-seat a bead? Best bet would be to let all the air out, pop the bead, and clean it off. Not sure if you can get to a compressor though.

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

No compressor. This isn't gonna happen for me, is it? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Makes me wish I hadn't taken the spare out 'just for a day' to haul tables. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You might try hitting the side of the tire with a hammer. Be careful not to let it come back and smack you in the face though. One time I had a tired changed out and it was leaking around the rim, the guy did this and it stopped leaking. It may or may not work for you though.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Got any gasket sealer with ya, try that..

6. BiggerRigger

BiggerRigger Registered Member

take all the air out pop the bead clean up the rim area and tire and leave the valve stem out!!!!!! take your trusty can of carb cleaner push the bead down alittle and spray a little in and stand back far enuf away to lite a lighter and sray the can twards the tire and wooofff the tire will pop right back on the bead....now I have done this in a pinch out on the trail and it works BUT it is very dangerous so use caution and dont burn anything or yourself..its better to use just a little and start from there.. if it dont work try alittle more and so on but BE CAREFULL. hope this helps
    Aaron

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the suggestions...I just stayed an extra day and took it to a local tire shop. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif