Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with alternator powered generator idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Jun 17, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Aug 21, 2002
    Hey guys I want to get into bowfishing and figure I need some lights for my boat. Its a sterndrive outboard so running them off the motor is not an option. I decided, since I have bukus of parts, I'll make a small generator out of an old edger motor and a truck alternator. So what all do I need to run 2 pairs of 55 watt foglights off this setup. Right now I have the edger motor, alternator and battery, what else will I need? Voltage regulator? The alternator is out of an 84 chevy BTW, its a small case. I also have one out of an 80 Chevy if its any different or better to use. Thx
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Type "Homemade Generator" on google--the third post down that says "more info on homemade generators"will have all the info you need.Some sites on the same page show how to make a welder out of an altenator also,and how to make a common induction motor into a 120v ac generator--its real easy,but they work best with lights,not tools with motors. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif