Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with an engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by usmcanson, Apr 17, 2006.

1. usmcanson

usmcanson Registered Member

I have a 87 k5 TBI 350 5.7 700r4 tranny, 9" of lift with 38's. In the process of beefing up the axles and a few other thing.
    The problem that i ran into is that it started blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. Thought "okay headgasket is bad". Pulled it off and yes it was bad.....then we found the block was cracked between 2and4. Now my problem is that i don't really want to go buy a brand new longblock kit, but it is impossible to find 350's around here. So i was wondering what motors will bolt up to the 700r4 and that i won't have to do anything crazy to put it in.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

stock TBI 350 for ease. Any other displacement engine and you start dealing with calibration issues, along with any "modded" motors causing similar problems.

Crate engine might be your best choice, depending on what direction you want to go with the motor.

3. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

you can find 350's they were like the most common engine made besides the 305

you just gotta know where to ask and look and when

billions of engines will bolt to the 700r4 depending on if its 60 or 90 degree housing

im sure yours is a regular old 90 degree

a straight six all the way to a 502 will bolt and work on it

all the v-8s and a couple of the v-6's too

if its tbi then id leave it stock factory yep

unless you liek to mess with the prom and spend more extra $$

good luck