Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help with Axle swap/lift question? ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by la_blazer82, Dec 18, 2004.

1. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I'm knee deep in the middle of a front axle swap, having removed all bolts, including shocks, u-bolts, spring eye, shakles, brakelines, sway bar, and d-shaft straps.

First Q: I need help figuring out how to separate the tie rod end bolt from the steering arm. I already removed the cotter pin, and tried loosening with a wrench. NO luck. I will not be using this steering arm, but this is the only thing holding the axle under the K5. Is there something I'm missing??

Second Q: On the D44 I'm swapping in, I already removed the 3 cone bolts holding the steering arm to the axle. I will be installing a 4" extended arm. How do I separate steering arm from axle??

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

#1 is use a pickel fork after you get the nut off. if you cant get the nut off... I am thinking a sawsall or a torch will remove it all nicely.

#2 the answer my friend lies in what is commonly referred to as a BFH (big friggin hammer) you have to beat the damn thing off. hit it about 1/2 way down the arm and eventually it will seperate... eventually. there really is no better way that I have ever heard of.

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

That steering arm has 3 tappered wedges that are drawn in by the nuts and they are a be-itch to take out. good luck.

4. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

Going to have to buy a pickle fork (tie rod end tool) or rent one from Autozone.

As for the steering arm on the D44, I was finally able to get it off, but realized that the 4" Extended arm from TuffCountry for the D44 looks to have been fabbed wrong. It doesn't clear the bulge where the Tie Rod is attached to the axle. Do I send this back, or do I just grind down to fit?

I checked the box and it has the right TC part # for a D44