Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help with brakes grabbing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 20, 2002.

I have a 89 K5 Blazer with new brake pads up front, new rear shoes in back, and a new brake master cylinder. The problem I'm having is when I use the brakes on slippery roads, all 4 tires are locking up at the same time.

My brake calipers and wheel cylinders are fine and my axle seals aren't leaking. I've never experienced this kind of braking condition before. I was told by a guy I know that he thinks it's my vacuum brake booster? I figured if it was the booster, that I would have an extremely hard brake pedal? Please help ASAP as there is snow here and it's kind of uncomfortable to brake on snow and ice.

Thanks,
    Doug

4 wheelin's not a job, it's an adventure!

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

do a search for brakes, and you will find more ideas than you know what to do with.
    did you bench bleed properly the master cylinder before installing
    good luck
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

CHeck you anti lock brake wires.

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mccords.s5.com/myk5/index.htm>NashvilleK5</a>

3. I forgot to mention that I bench bled the master cylinder before I put it on and then I bled the brake lines of any air. I worked as a auto tech at a mechanic shop for 2 1/2 years, so I know what I'm doing mechanically. My blazer DOES NOT have anti lock brakes, so I can rule that problem out. What about the proportioning valve in the brake system? Or the vacuum brake booster? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Doug

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've had old brake lines swell and cause a symptom like this. Sounds like either an air pocket in the master cyl or the back brakes are too tight.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

5. I was thinking that the back brakes might be a little tight, but I don't think the front brakes should be locking up at the same time the rear is locking up? I had this problem with the brakes before I changed the brake master cylinder. I don't know?

Thanks,
    Doug

Thanks,
    Doug