Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with brakes PLEASE!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kodiak, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I've got a problem that seems to be getting worse. The majority of time, the brake pedal is hard like normal. But lately, the pedal has become soft at times. It is very inconsistent, but seems to happen more when the motor is cold. Whenever it is soft, I pump it once and it is back to a hard pedal. It has nothing to do with how often the brakes are used or how long its been since the last time I pushed the pedal. This morning, it was so soft the pedal did not want to return to the up position. I stuck my foot under it and pulled it back up, then push it back in and it was back to being a hard pedal again.
    I have found no leaks or anything obvious. What can be giving such an inconsistent problem?

2. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

that happens to my truck and my friends chevelle but we have learned to deal with it by doing a quick, short pump before u fully apply the brake.

Evan

1970 Blazer, <font color=orange>ORANGE</font color=orange>, 3-speed manual, 33's <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/aksidentproan>Love Shack Pictures</a>

3. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I don't mind pumping the brakes. What I don't like is I didn't have to before, so something is not working or wearing out. I would rather replace it than depended on pumping the brakes for a long term solution.

4. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

Have you tried bleeding the brakes? It fixed all my brake problems..

5. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

It could be a Master Cylinder problem. I had that happening on my truck for a while, I changed out the Master Cylinder and did not have that problem again. As far as the pedal not returning, that sounds like a your return spring on the brake pedal fell off. Good Luck.

See Ya,
    Keith

"Your just mad cause the voices only talk to me."

6. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

On the pedal not returning, it only happened the one time and worked fine after that. I have thought of replacing the master cylinder and the power booster, I just don't know wich one would be causing this problem or how to check the function of each seperately.

7. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I think if the power booster was going bad that you would not have the problem with pumping the brakes. You would always have them, it would just feel like manual brakes. Meaning they would be real hard and would take more force from you to stop your truck. The pumping of the brakes makes me think it is the master cylinder not holding presure, which in turn makes you have to pump the brakes a few times to bring the presure back up. I could be wrong, but it sounds like what happened to me and the master cylinder change fixed my problem. Plus the master cylinders are pretty cheap for our trucks at Napa and Pep Girls and such. If you change it out just make sure that you bench bleed the master cylinder first before hooking it up to the rest of the system and bleeding all of it.

See Ya,
    Keith

"Your just mad cause the voices only talk to me."

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

just a thought. check the rubber grommet of the vaccum tube that goes into the booster. mine had a little leak and sometimes it would leak others it wouldnt and that gave me diffrent breakin probs from time to time.

nathan+

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

You have a fluid leak somewhere. This is not safe. Is it losing fluid? You need to find the leak(s) and fix it (them).