Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help with choke problems?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Mar 11, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i think my choke is goofy..when i start my truck up after sitting for a long time i think it shoudl run at a high idle when the elec. choke comes on..but it doesnt and i have to do it my self...and its hard as a beotch to get going!! i mean im pulling out in the street leaving school and it stalled on me twice...its hard to keep it goin..i have to pump the gas a lot while its moving to get it going at first....but once it gets going it will be pretty good..but still has a lot of hesitation when i give it gas...i have to do it slowly...and when i put it in park the idle goes higher than it should..any ideas on this...its kind of a pain in the butt!!

2. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

You're choke is not dissengaging. Either the element is worn out or you're not getting electricity to the choke. When you start, the choke is being set shut but not being released by the element like it should. that's why your engine is stalling. It's starving for air. The high idle speed is because the choke holds the fast idle cam open and if the choke is not releasing it keeps the idle too high. You probably either need to get a new element, or check the current to the element, or put in a manual choke. I put a manual in mine and haven't had any more problems.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what is this element? and how do i replace it?

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how do you tell if your getting electricity to the choke? i know the light comes on...and i never have a hard time starting it..even when its cold..its just getting it going and keeping it running when i first put it in drive is whats the problem...that and the hesitation!

5. georgiared84

start the engine and see if the wire going to the choke is putting out 12 volts. Put an electrical tester on it and ground it on the choke housing. it should read a little more than 12 volts. The element is inside the round part. It is a coiled piece of metal that expands as the electricity from the wire warms it up. That's what opens your choke and releases your fast idle. If the element isn't getting electricity it won't open the choke. The elements lose their ability to work as they get old. You can get a replacement choke thermostat from a parts store or put in a manual choke. I went manual just because I wanted a little more control over what my choke was doing, but the electric ones do fine when they're working.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok ill take a look..how long does it take to replace one and how much they cost? i wanan get this thing running better quick cuase its a pain in the but to mess with by the time i get out of school...i always dread leaving for this reason lol...

7. georgiared84

Really easy to replace. Just make sure the new one goes back in the same position as the old one. I think they cost around 30 for the new thermostats. A manual truck kit is around 12 and took me about 30 minutes to put in.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

were is it? you said a round part...well there are two..i got one on the side of it..says holley on it...has to wires connected to it..then theres another one behind that that has four screws on top and one wire connected to it..?

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

could someone give me a pic? ide take one of mine but i gatta get my camera stuff installed on the other computer...

10. georgiared84

I've got a quadrajet. On the stock quadrajet it's on the passenger side behind the actual choke and only has one wire going to it. If you look at you're choke and follow the linkage you should be able to find it. Sorry not very familiar with holley carbs. Saw your other post, the manual choke on the quadrajet was very easy to put in. Cost 12 bucks and came with realy easy to follow directions. I mounted mine under my steering wheel on the right. Went through the fire wall right behind the driver's side head and around the front of the engine to link it to the choke. Don't remember the name of the kit. It was the universal truck kit from pep boys.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

is it the round circuler thing with 4 bolts on top and one wire connected to it? and on the manual choke thing..does it just bypass the elec. one? or do you unhook it or what? do you just turn the choke on as much as you need till its warm?..with a manual that is..thanx!

12. georgiared84

Do you know what type of holley carb you have. I could look at a few and probably tell you which one is the choke. The cap and element come out of the electric choke unit and are replaced by a cap and control arm with the manual kit. The cable pulls the choke open or shuts it when you pull the knob in the cab.

13. georgiared84

I Think the one with four screws on the passenger side with the one wire is your electric choke. I'm not sure how the universal kit attaches to yours. The cover to the electric choke is different than the quadrajet. You might check if someone has a picture of a holley with a manual kit put on. Have you checked jegs or somewhere like that for a new element for your carb? They really do work well and keep you from having to mess with the choke when the element is doing its job and the linkage is kept clean.

14. georgiared84

OK, I checked Jegs and they have a manual kit that is made for holleys.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool! maybe ill get one and just see what kind of difference it makes. i dunnoits wierd..im still trying ot figure out if its reallt the prob. it starts and runs fine when its cold...but man..soon as you try to put it in D it will stall right out inless you pump the gas...and then it usually does to. untill its warmed up...but it should take of fine...the choke should be closed just enough to let it get enough gas i would think..right? and when it gets to operating temp it should be wide open....i think its just open more than its closed or something...wont close when it should. might as well try the manual choke...id like to see if it makes a difference...could you send me a link?

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

17. georgiared84

Yeah, I saw that too. I've sent Jegs lots of money over the years. Really happy with them. I just about gaurantee that it's you're choke. Those symptoms sound all to familiar. When you have a choke stuck sghut it will die when you put it in gear unless you give it a lot of gas. One way to check, get it idling and pull off the air cleaner and look at it. If it is still shut or close to being shut, flip the linkage to see if it releases the choke. It should run better right after you get the choke open.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Put a manual choke cable on it. I've got a manual choke and will never go back to automadic choke ever again with a carb.

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea...its allmost as if its to stiff or something..

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how do you work it? do you leave it on a little when its cold then after you are driving for a while and it warms up you take it of? or do you just know when to do it when the engine starts to stutter..