Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help with Corporate 14-bolt (FF) axle swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dammit32, Aug 5, 2002.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

Just to make things clear from the start...I know very little about the internals of axle other than what i have read on this site and other 4x4 sites
    my rear 10 bolt on my 91 blazer seems to be giving way to the pasture and i would like to replace it with a Corporate 14-bolt (FF) after reading about all of the types. what newer trucks carry these ? how do i know its an FF by looking at it? do they all come with the spring mount the same width as mine and total width drum to drum?

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

there's a picture in the technical section of this website...

A 14 bolt Full Float is BIG.. has 8 lugs and is BIG...

um....

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here's a pic of a 14 bolt from the axle ID page...

[​IMG]

The width is 1" wider than the 1/2 ton diffs, but still narrower than the front. For a 73-91 Blazer the 3/4 ton version is a direct bolt up, for the first gen Blazers the one ton version is a direct bolt up. To the best of my knowledge these axles can still be found under the new trucks, but likely only the one ton version. I believe they are using the SF 14 bolt under the 3/4 tons from the mid 80's and up.

There is much more info on this subject, just use the search feature and type in "14 bolt swap" or something like that.

Rene

4. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

look at the hub. the axle held in place externally. so there are two rings of bolts. does that make any sense?