Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help With D60 Measurements for 72 GMC

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Nate, Oct 17, 2005.

1. K5Nate

K5Nate 1/2 ton status

OK, so I finally worked up enough cash to where I know I can get a Dana 60 to replace my 44 on my 1972 GMC Jimmy. Now I have searched but can't find, or maybe I have overlooked what D60 I need to buy, Im looking for measurements here and yes I know the Diff housing needs to be passanger side . I am going to try to do this project on my own and was hoping that someone else who has done it can tell me what things I am going to need besides the axel, if anything. Will my current steering and suspension parts work with it? I have twin shocks up front but could go with single, dont really care for em. The current axel is a D44 8 lug connected via a custom shaft to a NP205. Please gimme all you got this is my second posting ever so bear with me. Thanks a lot guys.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  2. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

Just get a GM d60 pass drop and it should bolt right up. As for steering I never tried to use stock draglink with it but I would think it should work but crossover on a d60 is so easy to do and not real expensive I would recommed do it instead of stock steering. I don't have actual measurements but I can tell you that I am only 1/2" wider in the front than I am in the back with my 14 bolt so they line up really well. Make sure you get the spring plates also because replacement ones aren't cheap.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

New U-Bolts to fit the larger axletubes...
    Longer bolts on the PS for the upper spring plate if you have thick spring packs.
    The truck is going to sit higher in the front than it does with a D44, so don't be surprised if you end up with a "saggy butt" look after the conversion.

You're probably going to need front driveshaft mods too. (Shorter if I had to guess)

I went "all the way" on my 60 (crossover, hydro, custom shock mounts, highsteer) so I don't know how many of the "stock" pieces would simply bolt up.

4. K5Nate

K5Nate 1/2 ton status

actually it almost looks like my truck is "raked." From the side you can visually see that the truck is lower in the front than the rear. So thats not a bad thing for me really. So from what it seems there is only 1 style of GM D60 fornt? I was thinking that there was different lengths from the centerholes of the sping perches or something like the rear ends, kinda like the 14 bolt rear for a 1 ton Van or a pick-up.

5. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

There is a difference in the width of a DRW and a SRW, but it's just because of the different hubs. If you get a DRW you can either run Hummer wheels, or just switch out the hubs to SRW version. There are a few places that sell the hubs online, I wanna say around $300, but I'm not sure. Maybe you knew about this already though? Good luck.

6. K5Nate

K5Nate 1/2 ton status

yeah, I figured that the DRWs would be a little wider, but thanks for the advice. I guess Ill just go for it and see what I can accomplish. Thanks

7. bradley J.

bradley J. Registered Member

actually,the d60 from a single wheel 1ton is a little wider housing than
    the dueleys are,also the 14bolts from late 70s early 80s 1ton vans are
    wider and match up nice.good luck!
    Brad

8. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

2 questions

What does Hydro mean in relation to a Dana 60 front axle? What does "ttt" mean in some of the threads I read here? :confused: Thanks J.

9. K5Nate

K5Nate 1/2 ton status

"Hydro" is refering to a Hydraulic assisted steering system. Its a cylinder that uses dynamic hydraulic pressure from a piston that would be in place of a steering stabelizer to ancontrol front-end movementd it allows you to turn big meats even when they are jammed against rocks or ruts. check out http://coloradok5.com/hydroassist.shtml or www.agrperformance.com for more info. The CK5 product review has great info.

10. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Hydro

Thanks for the info. I'll check the site when I get a moment!!! thanks J.

11. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Hydro

Thanks for the info. I'll check the site when I get a moment!!! thanks J.