Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with dual tanks on pick up bed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Oct 14, 2003.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I've got an 87 long bed with dual tanks. The bed is shot and I've found a new one, but it only has one door on the drivers side.

Any ideas about getting a gas door on the passengers side?

OR

I remember years ago reading about a kit for GM trucks that moved the filler tubes for both tanks to one gas door (hopefully it was the drivers side). Anyone remember these? Anyone know where I could find one?

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Beds with only one door are on the pass side not the drivers. I added a second tank to my '79 when I was running a flatbed but now that I put the pickup bed back on I am looking at running a pipe across the top of the frame (should be 3-4" of clearance in there) and trying to make both fillers fit in the single door or possibly at the front of the pass side wheel well opening. That way I dont have to turn the truck around to get to another tank.

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Kenny,

I was thinking of doing the same thing if I couldn't find the kit. This bed has only one door and it's on the drivers side. Maybe it was off a diesel?? Someone else said the same thing. The bed came off a military truck, maybe that had something to do with it.

Eric M.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

just cut a whole in there and mount it up..inless your worried about looks realy it would work! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif a good body shop might be able to do something..you could make it look like the older 73-? filler with just the cap showing and no door.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

If I wanted that, I'd keep the ugly bed I have now!! I talked to a body shop ... bottom line, it would be cheaper to find the right bed.

Oh well.

Eric M.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I wanted that, I'd keep the ugly bed I have now!! I talked to a body shop ... bottom line, it would be cheaper to find the right bed.

Oh well.

Eric M.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eric
    I didn't mention that my bed has the two doors, just like you need, I will let you know in a couple of days if the sale falls through.
    You do have a tail gate thatis good right?
    By the way it's white.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Iceman,

Cool, Did you get my last e-mail? I'll be heading up that way this weekend, is the truck at the address you gave me? I can atleast check it out. And Yes, I have a tail gate, 2 in fact .... not sure how I ended up with 2 nice tail gates and no nice beds ... but I did.

Eric M.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I would prefer to have both tanks fill from the same side myself. I think I have enough room to run a pipe across and use generic gas filler hose for the connections (possibly even use the stock hose to connect the stock filler tube to the pipe, then another stock hose to connect the pipe to the tank. At the worst I can see using a 1" body lift for more clearance if needed.

Hmm, didn't realize the CUCV tanks were on the drivers side. I drove those trucks for 6 years and never really paid attention.