Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with electrical prob

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Nov 25, 2000.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I just figured out that none of the IGN ports in my fuse box are hot when the ignition is on.

One night when I turned on my fog lights, I heard a zap from under the dashboard and they went dead. I just just got around to checking it all out and have figured out that none of the ports labeled 'IGN' in my fuse box are hot, even with the ignition on.

There are 3 of these ports. One is hooked to my fog light switch, one to some black round thing on the carb (anyone knwo what this thing is?), and the third goes into a whole wrap of wires, so I can't tell where it goes.

Anyway, I can't seem to find a fuse that suports the IGN ports, nor can I locate any fusable link under the hood for this either.

Anyone know if this is fixable without replacing the whole fuse box? I know I could just route another lead, but replacing a fuse or fusable link would be oh-so-much nicer[​IMG]

Thanks,

Thomas

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

not positive but that little round black thing on your carb should be the electric choke. as 4 the rest of it i would just say start tracing wires sorry i could'nt help more

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Can you give me the colors of the wires in question? I have a wiring diagram for '81-'87 but need the colors of the wires going into that spot on the fuse box. You can(first disconnect battery) take the four corner screws out of your fuse box, unclip the edges, and pull it away from the firewall to see what wires go to what fuses/connections. It is very easy on my '73, but I'm sure you'll have more stuff in the way since it's newer.

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

How did you connect the wires to the fuse box?

Dawson
    88 K5

5. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind that you can't tell visually if the fusible link is smoked...when in doubt, just change the sucker. Even with a meter you might get positive continuity, but STILL not have enough wire left for a good circuit.

6. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I can't find the fusable link though, thats the problem. They are not located on the fender wall nor the firewall. Are they behind the fuse box?

The wires I am talking about are single slide connection wires. To make more sense here, my fuse box has the slide in fuses, not the bus fuses. Well, all of the EGN ports have only half of a regular fuse connection. This allows for a wire equipped with a single slide connection to plug in. My fog lamps, electronic choke, and some 3rd device are pluggen into them.

My problem is either the fuse box itself, or a blown fusable link somewhere; but for a temporary fix, I hooked all 3 connections to the ACC circuit, but I would really like to get it back to normal.

I already bought the fusable link, but since my engine is afermarket, nothing seems to be where it should ........... I can't find the darn think!

Thanks for your advice so far .........

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

7. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I think ya blew a wire/fuse/fusible somewhere upstream of the fuse block coming from the main power.If the fusible you bought is for that year, try to figure out where it would go.Next, I would start doing a continuity check from the fuse block back upstream with a meter and see if you have a complete circuit back to the main power, which
    I believe is the alt/bat? Any elect. guys out there...I'm sure.