Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help with emissions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rnss82, Jan 14, 2005.

1. rnss82

rnss82 Registered Member

ok guys i need some help with emissons on a 1978 chevy k20. ineed to know what came on that truck for emissions like the egr and that kind of stuff.Any help whould greatly be helpfully.thanks

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as I'm aware HD emission controls for '78 was a PCV valve unless it was a Cali truck.

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

If it said unleaded fuel only on the gas gauge it had cats if it does not then it didn't. If it don't have a gas gauge anymore look at the fill hole forthe tank if it is large then no cats. If it is small just big enough for the nozzle to fit in now then it should of came with cats. I know the egrs started 73 or before. I don't think any other emmisions came on that truck. Also under the hood of some trucks if a sticker is still around it would say if it had a catalist or not.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have a 78 and passed..

no egr needed

no cat if heavy 3/4 ton (at least in NJ) - Funny as my gas gauge doesnt say unleaded fuel only.. even changed out my fuel gauge a few times but now have the small one.. I just make sure I keep the ones with out the unleaded on it...
    the guy at the inspection station looked at me funny as when you flop my gas doors open it says " DIESEL FUEL ONLY ".... I didnt fail for that :)
    being 8400GVW I didnt need cats....
    also if you fail emmissions... try the Guaranteed to pass... Worked for me :D

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I dont know about WA, but IN CA we have emissions labels, under the hood. It lists everyhitng you need there.