Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help With Factory Tach

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Nov 17, 2003.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Hey Y'all,

I got a factory tach dash in my 75 K-10, The fella I got the truck from told me that it worked but I never got it to till today.I found a "loose ground" or so I thought, I hooked the wire up and turned on the switchand it poped over to zero, I'm thinking all right, so I crank the engine and the thing goes to red line........I'm idleing my motor, So I cut it off dissapointed and ponder.I call my buddy cause I thought the 2 wires were crossed some how, I told him what happened and he said that's what it was.So I took the lead that went out inunder the hood and grounded it and to the one that I thought was ground and hooked it to the "tach" lead on dist. Ok, crank it again, engine idleing again and it looks right about 800, I rev it alittle and it just sit's there. it will "float" between 800-1000, won't go any higher, but if I hook it up the other way, for a split second it works and then it jumps back to 3500-4000. If I rev it it tries to go all the way around again.Any ideas? Sorry to be long winded, but just trying to elplain what's happening to it.As a side note this truck did not come out with factory tach, my neghibor found a tach cluster and installed it. The wires are : Brown traced it to the IGN hot (with switch on) Green, that looked like it went to a ground so that's where I put it.Green with white stripe that went out to engine compartment, I figured it was the tach hook up, but it did'nt have a plug on it, just a half u shaped connecter that looked like it went behind a screw or something. If you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know.I'm about to the point of pulling this thing and getting rid of it.I have other questions about this cluster, but won't go into it right now, Thanks for your time.

Conoverbandit

2. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

TTT,
    Still ain't got it right yet LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif