Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help With Fastener Grades...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Feb 16, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Short version: Is there such thing as a grade 8 pinch/top/crimp lock nut? Not a nylock, the steel lock nuts.

Long version: I'm putting my beadlocks together this weekend and nobody has enough of the specific hardware I need except for two fastenal's. One says they have 50 of the grade 8 pinch locks on hand, the other says there's no such thing as a grade 8 pinch lock but they have plenty of the "normal" (I assume they mean grade 5) ones. These nuts and bolts are holding my tires to my rims so it's not a place to skimp. Anybody know the story?

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Youre talking prevailing nuts. As far as I know, all nuts are the same grade, its the bolts that are different.

If there is a difference, 20 or more grade 5 nuts are not going to budge a tire. Grade 5 is still a fairly strong fastener. I'd say get grade 8 bolts and get the regular nuts. The bolt is what hold all of the stress anyways, not the nuts.

3. mikey_d05

32 per tire actually :p: Gawd my arm is gonna be tired, I need a beer already.

I've got the bolts and washers lined up, need to go snag 'em tomorrow when I go home...there was just some question about the grade of the nuts. The first of the two I'm stopping at is the one that claims to have grade 8's, I'll see what the story really is.

4. Hatchet Ryda

Hatchet Ryda Registered Member

Actually what you want to look for is a Grade C prevailing nut. According to all the information I've ever read about nuts Grade C is equivilent to a Grade 8 in the bolt world.

I read this somewhere once....

"Grade C Nuts are manufactured from medium carbon steel and heat treated to meet Grade 8 performance specifications. These prevailing torque nuts are designed for high strength applications for use with Grade 8 bolts."

HTH

5. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Nuts

He is correct the nut just provides clamping force while the shearing capability if provided by the bolt. I would be shocked if you needed anything beyond the grade 5 because the tire is going to rip long before your bolts shear.

6. mikey_d05

Granted...but I'm sort of obsessive compulsive like that...these things will only be seeing about 15 ft. lbs., which is well below capacity of even a non-graded 3/8" fastener, I'm just sort of anal about things like this.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

This is kinda funny, I'm installing the GLOR 208/241 clock ring this weekend and I bought my own hardware, because there was no indication as to what was in the kit(sorry Shawn). OK, I'm an Engr. I deal in fasteners basically everyday. There's jillions of answers to jillions of installations, the definitive answer is extremely rare. So lets keep it simple. The only mention I saw was 3/8, and they are grade 8? Nuts don't usually have enough real estate to mark the grade, at least the types found in HDWR stores, so about the only thing you can depend on is the label on the boxes they came in, at the back of the bin or on top of the shelves. Someone mentioned grade 5, and you are pretty much garranteed grade 5 if the bolts and nuts are "fine" or "machine" thread, for 3/8 thats 24 TPI(coarse is 16 TPI). You will be just fine with grade 5 for your application. To install these, clean everything; here's where things get extremely controversial, hold your breath, don't oil or dry lube the fasteners. By hand with an eight inch ratchet, crank until you feel a sharp rise in effort, maintain the same force and feel the tension ramp-up to a natural stop. Or, with a torque wrench, go to 340-415 in. lb. (28-34 ft. lb.) if there is a metal stop. Since this is bead lock, I don't know if you are clamping rubber or metal.