Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with finding the connection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rusted85, Nov 19, 2005.

1. rusted85

rusted85 Newbie

Just bought a 1985 K5, all stock w/305 auto. The carburator has a electrical connection on the top forward area with 2 wires coming out of it. One wire is laying there not hooked up. There is a plug on the end of this wire but I can't find where it connects. Could someone help me out? Thank you

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I will look when I get home tonight.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This carb does not have a connector on the drivers side front, correct?

If not, that plug should go to the thermostat neck.

Someone else was just dealing with that on here, looking for the temp switch.

4. rusted85

rusted85 Newbie

I bought a thermal switch today. The new switch has 2 metal spades sticking out of the top. Is there to be a second wire plugging into the switch? If so where would it come from? I'm not sure as to what this does with the carburator but I hope it improves my mileage. Correct Dyeager535 there is no other electrical connection on the carb.. Thank you for your help.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It has something to do with fuel enrichment (pump shot) under cold engine operating conditions. I don't believe it does anything once the engine warms up.

I have no experience in how they were actually wired, but it was probably as simple as 12V from the engine wiring harness into the connector at the carb, and the other wire directly to the switch, which grounds when hot or cold, depending on how the switch is setup.