Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with front brakes please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Aug 11, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've always had a really good hookup in the form of a mechanic who also works on cars at his house for next to nothing. I've always had him do brake work on my truck, but this time around when I figured out my rotors were warped, I wanted to do the brakework myself.....just so I'd learn some new stuff I guess.
    I was originally going to just replace the pads and rotors, but I always have crappy luck when it comes to working on my truck....so guess what. Things went wrong. When I pulled the caliper off, I looked in at the piston and the dust boot was half hanging out. No way to put it back in place on the truck, so I want to pull the caliper and just rebuild it...or should I get a new one?
    So here is my question. How do I disconnect the front brake lines? I know I should take them off at the frame first and remove the calipers with the hoses still attached. How do I remove them from the frame? Do I turn the fitting in the front, or do I have to do something on the inside of the frame? What about that little C clip thing I can see on the outside. TIA

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

As far as rebuilding or replacing your calipers goes, I would just replace them. New calipers for my '84 are only like 16 smacks or so.
    And for removing them........I always just left the brake lines on the truck and disconnected at the calipers. Never had any trouble, and never knew I was supposed to disconnect them at the frame. Anyone care to enlighten me?
    Anyways hope this helps.

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea the Chiltons manual says to disconnect them at the frame....but all the rest of the instructions don't make a lot of sense. Thats why I'm asking here.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have always took the line off at the caliper. Also you want to use a line wrench to take them off so you don't round it off.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The only time I ever unhooked one at the frame was to replace the lines. Just unhook it at the caliper, the new one will not have a new line.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

So do I need flare nut wrench to take it off at the caliper then?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

It can be done without a flare wrench, just be careful as the fitting is made of soft metal and is easily rounded. Oh and be sure to get new brass washers too or you will surely be leaking. I think new calipers come with new washers.

8. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

It can be done without a flare wrench, just be careful as the fitting is made of soft metal and is easily rounded. Oh and be sure to get new brass washers too or you will surely be leaking. I think new calipers come with new washers.

9. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

10. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

WHOE !!
    What the heck happened there?
    lol

11. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

DANG. Trying to increase your post numbers huh? lol Thanks for the help man. I went ahead and took it off at the caliper...forget Chiltons for now.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

12. Hay could you take some pics of the under side of your K5 for me?I need to see the rocker boxes on both sides of the truck.Please,there is nothing left of mine and I realy need to know what they should look like. Thanks

13. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

If you still need some pics, then post your email address and I'll see if I can send you a few.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would not try to do it without the Flair Fitting Wrench! I have messed up a couple of lines even using the right tool. They were parts store POS so I guess I got what I deserve. Go out and buy the correct wrench (of at least Craftsman quality if not better).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Since this is too late to reply, here's a tip to prevent the brake fluid from leaking all over the place: Get some visegrips and clamp the rubber hose shut. Then take the bolt out at the caliper end. You wont drain the master cylinder by doing this simple step. [​IMG]

I'm probably too late anyways, but a tip for next time! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>