Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with front Dana 60 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer79, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm almost done swapping the front Dana 60 into my Blazer. I already got custom made U bolts. These are my questions:

1) Those square caps that hold the axle to the leaf spring when you tighten the U bolts (how do you call those?) The driver's side cap fits perfectly, but the pass. side does not have the holes properly aligned. What have you done about it? Did you get a custom cap made? I'm going junkjard hunting as soon as I can. Chevy Dana 60s are not common here either. Can I get the driver's side from a Ford D60?

2) Also, it's weird, but the centering bolt head from the new springs doesn't fit inside the hole in the axle on the pass. side, but it does fit on the driver's side. Is this normal? I already cleaned it, but no use. Is it really a different size than the driver's side?

3) I installed new springs custom made locally for me which give me about 4" of lift. I added a 2" longer shackle. Will this affect my pinion angle? Also, what's the ideal caster? How much is too much caster?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a 2 inch longer shackle will give you one inch of lift. it will affect your caster and pinion angle. with the local made springs you will just have to mount it all up and see how well it works. take a few measurements and then go from there.
    that is not an uncommon lift though.

as for the mounting plate for the D60, are you sure you didnt get a dodge D60? how far off are the bolts from ritting in the spring plate? and how far off is the spring from fiting in the axle?

Grant

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like you have the wrong cap. you can get them from the chevy dealer, or I guess the junkyard off a dually or something.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Spring plate! That's the word. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Do you think I'll run into any problems with that kind of lift?

Doesn't a Dodge D60 have the pumpkin on the driver's side? Mine's on the passegner side.

My previous 10 bolt had two U bolts on each side, the D60 has 2 U bolt on the driver's side and 1 U bolt on the pass side and two threaded holes for studs or bolts. This one U bolt goes around a thicker part of the "pumpking", not on the axle tube itself, so the the 2 holes should be about 3/4" wider to receive the U bolt. The 2 studs are closer than my previous 10 bolt U bolt. Any ideas?

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sounds like you have the wrong spring plate. The correct passenger side Chevy plate has the two outside holes far enough apart for the u-bolt to go through the holes after wrapping around the housing, and the two inside holes are much closer together for the studs. </font color>

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The Chevy dealer SUCKS in Guatemala. They barely carry parts for pre-EFI and pre-IFS. I spent about half an hour having a guy figure out what a kingpin is just to find out the last time they had it in stock was in 1993 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Do you have an idea what other axle, besides a D60 could have this pass. side cap?

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Shaggy, that's exactly my problem. Do you have an idea what other axle, besides a D60 could have this pass. side cap so I can go junkyard hunting?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The Chevy D60 is the only axle that I know of that has a plate of this style. You could have one made though, any machine shop should be able to do it. </font color>