Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help with front end!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PeteH, Mar 23, 2004.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

had a machanic look at my truck today and he said my front end was all messed up!
    he said i need seals,ball joints,bearings,spindles, hubs,tension spring, tierod, steering knuckle all replaced and that it'll cost me close to $3000 just for parts (from the dealer)

does anybody know of a place near san jose, ca that would have those parts for cheap, or a used d44 with those things still in okay condition?

i cant afford to go to a d60 because then i'd need to get new rims and then do stuff to my rear end. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Good Lord! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    That mechanic sure likes to milk a job for all he possibly can.
    I haven't even looked at your axle, and I can tell you it doesn't need all that.

Anyway, post that stuff up in the "wanted" forum. There are a lot of guys on here from California. And don't rule out the idea of a whole new axle. One with all good stuff that matches the one you're taking out could be bought for around $200-300...from somebody that has swapped to 3/4 ton or 1 ton stuff.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

rare to find a "mechanic" that won't find alot wrong. Try to have someone else check stuff out, maybe someone from here that knows there _hit.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

To know all of that he would have had to tear the axle down to the ends. Spindles cannot be diagnosed from the outside of the hub, seals cannot be seen without the hub off, I have never heard of a knuckle wearing out (I have seen them break but that is more obvious). I think you need a new mechanic. You can get a brand new dana 60 from boyce (with all of the goodies) for around that price. Show him that price page and he should shut up.

That sucks.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I just did this whole rebuild for way less than that. Course no labor charge. When I put my 3/4 ton axle in, I gave my old 10 bolt away for free and there wasn't anything wrong with it.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

DO NOT GO BACK TO THAT "MECHANIC" !!

He's out for your money.

7. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

If you really need a front end I have a 10 bolt, complete minus the calipers for sale. How bout 3000 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif oh just kidding how bout 90 bucks, came out of my DD because I have 1 ton now. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Oh ya and screw mechanics, most of them are out for your money. If anything take it to a different reputable frontend shop, don't tell them about the other guy, and see what they say is wrong. Probably only need new ball joints and drag link ends, definately not spindles and knuckles..... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

If you do end up needing another front end I need to get rid of this heep /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you really need a front end I have a 10 bolt, complete minus the calipers for sale. How bout 3000 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif oh just kidding how bout 90 bucks, came out of my DD because I have 1 ton now. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Oh ya and screw mechanics, most of them are out for your money. If anything take it to a different reputable frontend shop, don't tell them about the other guy, and see what they say is wrong. Probably only need new ball joints and drag link ends, definately not spindles and knuckles..... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

If you do end up needing another front end I need to get rid of this heep /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

"mechanics" being the keyword.. if they dont consider themselves a "technician" i would stay away...

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Probably only need new ball joints and drag link ends, definately not spindles and knuckles..... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Balljoints~$100ish
    hub bearings & seals ~ $50
    I really doubt it needs hubs and spindles, and especially knuckles. he would have had to disassemble it to determine that. If it turned out you need those parts, pick and pull has complete frontends for under $200, just find the right gear ratio.
    About the third time my D44 needed a balljoint or wheel bearing i said screw it i'm not dumping any more money into my 1/2 ton crap.

Now that $1000 Dana 60, $1000 rebuild, and $1000 crossover and hydro assist steering.. doesn't look that bad eh? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

okay i went there and the guy actually had my front end in pieces and showed me what was wrong. aparently the previous owner got 4wp's to put in some locking hubs. they forgot to put a spring retainer in it. the spring rubbed against my spindle and now theres a huge gouge in my spindle. my knuckle's hole for the ball joint (tapered hole) is all messed up and theres some more stuff messed up...blllahhhh /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

looks like your going to want my axle /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Give him a little cash for labor to diagnose the problem and then buy yourself a good used front end. OR, I had a bent knuckle once and got a whole junkyard knuckle for next to nothing and it's still on the road. That would be a little less labor intensive than an axle swap. You can buy a tool from Autozone to press in and remove ball joints. It's easier and more correct than beating them out, but not as fun. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Don't forget to remove the clips /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif