Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help with gauges!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Intense Blue, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Intense Blue

Intense Blue Registered Member

my fuel gauge,oil pressure gauge and temp gauge are all maxed out on reading..they dont move at all, not even when you click the ignition off/on, they don't budge a centimeter!!! the only gauge that does work/moves is the battery gauge.....now they did all work about a week ago,so the gauge cluster is good....anyone know whats up with this...thanks

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

a fuse maybe?

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

3. Intense Blue

fuses seem to be good....and now i noticed the speedometer doesn't work either....i also noticed that when the oil pressure gauge is pegged i will turn on the lights and the gauge moves to halfway, shut the truck off and it pegs out again untill i turn the lights on then it reads halfway( goofy )..fuel gauge doesn't move at all, pegged out clear pass full mark.........i also am remembering that i put a brand new battery in the truck about 2 weeks ago and the truck starts but turns over very slow, very slow and then it will pop off and start, battery cables seem to be tight and good, dont know if the two things are related or not.....possibly have a bad ground somewhere?

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like your wire harness that plugs into the printed circut is chaffed and shorting out, or the printed circut is bad. all the wires that power the printed circut are tight together, used for more than one thing, it's all confusing, this is just a possibility, check it out.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

sounds like the gauges aren't getting any power. most gauges have a ground, power source, and then the resistence from the sender. if all you gauges are having a problem then I'd think they are not getting power.

there is a plug that plugs into the back of the piece that holds the gauges, and possibly that came unplugged?

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I second the chaffed wire or circut board.Something is getting grounded.

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

It also sounds like maybe a bad ground.

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

sure would be handy to know what kind or year of vehicle
    the gauges on the older stuff like mine is 2 magnets fighting over a pointer

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The first thing i would be looking for is a bad ground. Second, make sure that when you changed batteries the little wire off the side of the negative battery cable is grounded to the chassis of the truck. You must have the cable grounded to the engine for the starter to work with little effort, and the little wire grounds to the body to help with the rest of the electrical system. Remember that there is rubber in the motor mounts and so the ground cable to the engine isn't enough.

10. Intense Blue

ok thanks for help i will try these ideas today...i know when i changed batteries the negative cable had the little wire and it was grounded to the radiator support, that part never has been taken off, i just unscrewed the side posts and swapped batts., but i will check it out anyway

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i had the same prob. and it was a ground issue. i had replaced my batt. and new cables,but when i did this i removed a small ground wire that went from the -terminal to the radiator support. removing this ground on MY truck caused wacky things to happen with my gauges. i replaced it and BINGO everything is peachy. hope this helps.

gime a bucket of chicken with extra skin!

12. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Ditto on checking the grounding wire. Check the one that runs from the engine block to the body. Mine runs from the back of the right head to just under the heater box on the fire wall. Clean all the corrosion off both sides and recheck. Also check the battery neg cable and the point where it hooks up.

13. Intense Blue

i bet this might be why my 4x4 indicator light on dash doesn't lite up anymore when i put it in 4 wheel drive

14. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

this juat a little note on grounding, all three major components must have a good ground back to the - terminal on your batt. 1 being your frame 2 is youre motor and 3 is the body. so check all those and see what happens. but for a very quick check on the body ground run a new peice of 10 gauge copper that is big enough and run it from the - term. to the fender. if that does not fix it you could have bigger probs. but i don't know to much about those fancy blazer like yours with an actual 4x4 indicator light hehehe. good luck

gime a bucket of chicken with extra skin!