Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with hard starting....Air in the fuel system still???

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Jan 14, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

OK.... Now that I am back I can find out what is up with the k5. The top end is new. Now that I think about it was always kind of hard to start. It is in the 30s now and someone on here told me that you should crank for 30 seconds and let the starter cool down. I just started it before and it took 5 tries to get it up and going. I did not time it to see how long it was yet. the gp are new. Cranking speed is good. After it is warmed up it seams fine. I will get back to you on that. Thanks for the help guys. Mike

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

A wild-ass guess but it sounds like you have the dreaded "fuel filter mount air leak". The box filters were kinda notorious for this. The Army fix was to replace the filter mount $$$. IIRC the GM bulletin fix was to remove the fuel pressure sender and tap/plug the sensor hole. (you loose the clogged filter warning) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. 84CUCV

How could it be that dan when there is no leak of fuel on the out side? Is there a way to check for what you think it is?I could tap and plug it. Is there a better filter set up I could use? Thanks a lot Dan Mike

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Most times air goes in but you don't get a leak, especially if the problem is higher than the tank.
    It will draw air in when the suction on the engine side starts.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My truck is also a bit hard to start when it has been sitting for a little while. I've driven it about 200 miles so far...about half freeway and half city.

I do have 2 small injector return lines that have a slight drip still. Will fixing them help? They're getting fixed anyways but I'm curious.

Rene

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

You would think you'ld see fuel dripping, but that not been my experience. The GM filter isn't bad, but yes there are better; Racor is the sweet set up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run a Racor water separator, then a spin on filter. I'll have to look for loose clamps or something I guess. I'm thinking air has to be getting in somewhere and I don't have a box filter.

The only leak I know I have is in two of the small fuel return lines between injectors. I need some new clamps and a couple feet of hose to repair that...Maybe that is enough to cause me troubles?

Rene

8. 84CUCV

Dan, I am looking at my TM 9-2320-289-20p. You mean the #13 on page 18-1. Take that out and tap the hole and plug it? Where can I find out about the Racor system? Sounds like a good setup. Thanks Mike

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yep that (I think) is what the GM bulletin is refering to. I haven't done, yet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif