Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with headlights and exhaust in cab.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevblazk5, Feb 9, 2003.

1. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I own a 1980 Chevy K20 with a two year old 350 small block installed by local Chevy dealer. I bought the truck from previous owner three months ago with no interior. The truck had no heater, radio, dash or a fuse box. I am still working on the gauges. I am now having a problem with headlights and fumes in the cab.
    First of all, after installing new headlights I noticed that the driver side light is brighter then the passenger side. I checked all grounds and I know that all the wires are good because they're new.
    Second, the truck has a true dual exhaust and factory exhaust manifolds with exit behind the rear tires. Why or how I am I getting exhaust fumes in the cab? I don't have any holes in my floor or the firewall. I noticed the fumes getting stronger after I installed the heater two weeks ago. (That's right; I've been driving with no heat for the last two months)
    Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix these problems?

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If both bulbs are new and the same type, you must have a ground issue. You might try running a ground wire from one light to the other, temporarily, and see if that helps.

Excuse my ignorance on the K20.....if that's a Blazer, most of the fumes come in around the rear tailgate/window area. You might check your rear gate seals and make sure they are good. I'm not sure why the heater would make a difference unless you're sucking fumes from around the firewall...... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i know its a longshot, but do u maybe have a small leak on your exhaust manifolds? a crack or something? I BELIEVE a cracked manifold turns white around the crack but im not sure, or could u have a small hole in the actual pipe? IF thats the case then under the hood u could/should/would have your fumes and when you redid the heater core, maybe u left a small leak around it...just some thoughts.

Also with the headlights, are they adjusted properly? If one is sprayin into the trees it will appear dimmer....

*I reserve the right to say i dont know wtf i typed, tomorow, as i am high on cold medicine at the moment*

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Your wiring may be new...but I just went through this with my 86. I would hit a bump, and lose a few of the lights- then hit another bump, and lose the opposite...tried everything known to man...cleaned up the headlight prongs double checked the wires etc...

bought 4 new headlight prong connector things..$4.87 each at local parts store- what a difference! It wasn't the wires, or the headlights it was the white plugs...$20.00 and it was done with.

Might check these
    Brandy

5. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You were right k20. I did have a small exhaust leak and the fumes were geting in trough the fresh air vents. I fixed the leak tonight and guess what?.....NO MORE FUMES IN CAB!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

MudNurI, I'm gonna replace the headlight prong connectors tomorow and I hope that's gonna solve my second problem /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

THANK YOU