Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help with installing cd player with On Star

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jackyl, May 8, 2004.

1. jackyl

jackyl Registered Member

I installed a cd player in my 2001 tahoe yesterday. It worked fine with the key in the accessory posistion but when I turned it to the on position it would shut the sound off but the cd player would still have power. I talked to a stereo shop and they told me that I have to get a relocation kit and an On Star interface. Apparently the stock cd player runs the air bags and the On Star. He said I have to get the relocation kit and install the stock cd player under the seat or in the console because it has to be powered and left in the tahoe. Is all of this true? Is there anyway around it. The On Star interface is $149 and the relocation kit is $70. Any help on this would be great.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Put the factory stereo back in the dash and mount your after-market stereo in the console, in the glove box, under the seat, ...ect, where ever pleases you. Run new wires. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Where are you at? IT would be helpful to know so someone can recommend a place to take it to. I know a place, but I do not know if you are in UT or not.

4. jackyl

jackyl Registered Member

I am in Twin Falls Idaho

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I will try and ask my buddy about this. So your Tahoe came stock with a CD Player, and also On Star. Is this correct?

What kind of radio are you trying to put in? Get me some more info and I will talk to my buddy tonight and see if we can get the 411.

Worst case, road trip and bring it down to his shop.

6. jackyl

jackyl Registered Member

Thats right. 2001 Tahoe stock cd on star. I have a fosgate rfx 9000 mp3 player that I want to install

7. barryb

barryb Registered Member

im pretty sure there are onstar interfaces now that dont need the relocation kits, i know i did a 03 chevy tahoe with just the interface, and did NOT have to put the factory radio back in there, the on-star worked properly and muted the aftermarket radio. If you dont find anything hit me up.

barry
    www.competitiveaudio.com

8. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Sorry for the delay on this. I will talk to my buddy tonight and see what has to say. Should be able to report back tomorrow.

9. jackyl

jackyl Registered Member

There is no hurry. Whenever you get a chance.

10. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Well, he confirmed that what you have been told is true. For the most part. Except you do not need to relocate the factory CD player. You do have to by an adapter module that will let everything run all nice and happy. He remembers them running around $150.00, but atleast you would not need to keep the factory head unit in the truck.

Hope this helps, or maybe it doesn't? Anyway, let me know if there is anything else you need, and I will ask him. He is more tan willing to help out.

11. jackyl

jackyl Registered Member

So I would only need that one kit to make ecerything work?

12. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

That is what I understand.