Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with interior

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, May 14, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

One of the previous owners put a brown backseat in my blue Blazer. I'm re-doing the interior now and its going to be black and grey which matches the blue paint pretty OK. Its just the backseat that looks like crap. Its in good shape, so I don't want to replace it. I also don't really feel like paying for a cover for it. Is there any kind of spray can dye that I could use to make that seat black???

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Take the seat to an upholstery shop and have it recovered -
    shouldn't be too spendy. (Compared to what you have already done.)
    I never liked the paint idea.
    If you do get it redone, post the price pls.
    Dave

3. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

You could try pulling the covering off of the seat and using RIT dye. You can find it in most grocery stores by the shoe polish stuff. It's a powder that goes in a bunch of water and you soak the cloth in it (I'm assuming these are cloth seats) I suggest using a washing machine (at the laundromat!!). It's the stuff you use to Tie-Dye in case you need to ask a clerk where it is.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

4. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Or you could go to JC Whitney and get get some vinal covers
    I bought a set for both front buckets and back seat for around
    170.00 On sale they don't look bad at all I have not put them on
    yet though...

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Just get a Pep Boys seat cover...I got mine for the rear bench for $40. It's faux lamb skin....works well enough.....there is a fabric spray you can get. It's like $5 a can. I never tried it but you can see if it works.

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

6. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

The answer to the question about the spray can is yes. You can buy a fabric spray in a can. I've seen them at Pep Boys and Autozone/Kragen stores. I've never tried it though so I don't know if it works.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Is it fabric or vinyl, if its fabric yeah, my friend did his carpet and it turned out nice but he used stuff you put in a spray gun and I don't remember what it was called, and I'm thinkin' ya don't want people to end up with black butts[​IMG]

[​IMG]<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Its old school 1973 style...vinyl. Thats why I didn't know about a dye or not. If not, no biggie...I guess I just might do the Pep Girls seat cover idea. I just hate seat covers on vinyl though because they slip and slide around alot and never stay in place.
    Yea, I'd hate for some dye to come off and end up on my hootus or something. har har har. It IS the backseat you know. lol

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad