Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with K-30 steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 53chevy, Jan 21, 2005.

1. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Need help with K-30 steering. My truck has a d60 front with 39.5 boggers. My steering is really sloppy and it looks like i need a new steering box. Any help with these steering issues are greatly appricated

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Best bet it to have someone sittin in the truck lightly turn in the wheel back n forth while you are scoping out all the steering components to see where all the "play" is coming from. Could be the box, also could be tie rod ends.

Good Luck.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

check the frame at box area. if broken go to vendor area and call up off road design thay have the stuff and its built like a tank. get the box brace kit and if bad frame get repair kit. then get crossover steering kit for the 60 frt. this will get all the steering back. if in mud and rocks get the high steer kit also. you wont be sorry with the quality, i have 2 complet sets of the stuff on my trucks.

also lookin the tech area and the product review area . there is good stuff in there about these items.

4. 53chevy

How much and where do u get cross over and hydo assist. My frame is good

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

cross over is great and www.offroaddesign.com has a good strong kit . but thay dont realy do hydro. but i have heard of a place in texas thats good someone will tell you who it is. the pics on ords site dont do justice till you have the parts in hand. thay are BEEFY arms.!!! get one of there box braces it should be a first install part. it will firm up the steering also, no more frame flex at the box.

i have personaly purchesed over 3k in parts from them in the last 2 years and all 110% quality and ease of use and install. 1 problem was found on a part thay sent me a replacement part in 3 days from them to me in ny and payed shipping on both new and return part no questions asked.

6. 53chevy

Should i go hydro or crossover

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go both, but if you're going to go one, go crossover. I started a thread earlier about running hydro with the stock steering and to put it simply, it won't work. The reason is that if your driver's side tire is at full droop, your steering runs out of travel while trying to turn left, but the ram is still pushing on the linkage, this will eventually rip your steering box right off of the frame. Happy trails :grin:

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

someone else has the same parts for cheaper i do believe :whistle: