Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with my truck please.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Jan 1, 2003.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

I got a 77 k-10 bonanza truck, and the tranny has gone out.
    I got a 86 k-5 in yesterday,(killer parts blazer)My question is can I take the 700-r4 out and put it in my truck usingmy 203 t-case?I like my 203, and the 700-r4 has 208 on the back of it(no lo 2 by) And I would like to put mine on the 700-r4 if possible.Or do I just need to switch the tranny/t-case for now until I can find a turbo 350?I do go bogging,Y'all think the 700-r4 will hold up ? Thanks for the help y'all. <font color="blue"> </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

You can make the 203 fit, but I believe you have to replace the output shaft on the 700r4 wich requires tearing it down. Try looking on bulkpart.com and do a search for 700r4 output shafts.You'll get a link of all the adapter kits you can get to match the tranny up. I'd get a 208 unless you feel like taking the tranny apart to change the shaft. As for 700r4's, they are prone to problems. But it all depends on how they were built. They can be made as strong as a 350, but it takes a lot more money. The one in my 84 has 35000 miles on it and is starting to lose the firmness between the shifts. The rebuild on it was about 1100 and it was done with all good parts by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm not exactly easy on it. I'm only running 33's, but I do tend to believe the skinny pedal belongs in the down position.I offroad quite a bit in it, and I'm sure with normal driving I could have gotten twice the miles. Measure the total length of both combos. If you try to put in the 700r4/ 208, you may have the added problem of replacing driveshafts.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

there is a spacer available out there to bolt the 700r up to the 203.
    you will need to take care of the kickdown problem there are a few kits out there for it. make sure you run a tranny cooler as the 700r does not like heat much.

and then you might want to convert the shift indicator over as well.

Grant