Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help With NP203 Part-Time Kit Difficulty

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Fletch79, May 14, 2003.

1. Fletch79

Fletch79 Registered Member

Hello Folks,

I just installed the Mile Marker manual-locking hubs and wedge kit in my '79 K5 Blazer.

I printed out Grimm-Reaper's write up, plus had the Mille marker instructions.
    The install was no problem.
    I put the stock spacer, then the race-rollerbearing-race setup that came with the kit, followed by the newly modified output shaft.
    Wedges went in fine, my diff that retains the planetary gears retains the cross via pins rather than two halves bolted together, but other than that everything was 'as pictured.'
    Put the first section of the housing on, then the spedo-drive gear and shims, rest of housing, and slid the yoke on.
    Topped off the gear oil, and did the recommended idling check.
    No bad noises.
    Topped off gear oil again, bolted down yoke(with washer), bolted in the rear shaft, and set the rear axle on jack stands.

Now the trouble.
    I was doing a check with the hubs unlocked and the rear wheels off the ground.
    It's still running full-time!
    Regardless of how I engage the transfer case, both axles are being powered.
    I'm scrathing my head pretty well on this one.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Fletch

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

It may not have enough resistance when on jackstands, that the front shaft turns via friction...I've seen 205 transfer cases unlocked going down the highway with their front shafts turning slightly, due to friction. Try driving it to see what happens.

3. Fletch79

Okay, good idea.
    I'll yank the rear shaft, lock the front hubs, and see if it's truly driving the front axle.

Thanks for the quick response.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, good idea.
    I'll yank the rear shaft, lock the front hubs, and see if it's truly driving the front axle.

Thanks for the quick response.

[/ QUOTE ]\
    It's proably "parasitic drag" Put the case in high or low. Unlock the hubs. If you can spin the front drive shaft without much effort then your fine. Both my 75 and my 79 will have the front drive shaft spin some going down the road. Not really a bad thing at all keeps the ring and pinion bathed in oil so they don't rust if you don't use 4x4 often.

5. Fletch79

Got it licked.

Never thought I'd say this, but I was lucky that I had a leak. When I unfolded the Mile-Marker supplied gasket, it broke into four peices. The old gasket was still in one piece, so I tried to clean it off and hoped it'd hold okay until I could get another gasket.

National Drivetrain had a cheap gasket/seal kit.
    When I had it apart to do the gaskets and seal, I noticed that I had put the cross in backwards despite the specific note in the Mile-Marker instructions. The long side of the cross was facing the front diff.

I flipped it around and everything is working perfectly now. No more 'parasitic drag,' and no leaks.

Soon as I had it together, I topped off the gas tank.
    I'll post back with any gas milage improvements next time I fill up.

Thanks for all the help on this one.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif