Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with pins on ORD swaybar disconnects!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nrose07, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Went to put my new dissconnects on my 88' last night and I'm having a heck of a time getting the pins through swaybar. 5lb hammer and a big swing is the only way they are going. I compared the pins to the original bolts and they seem to be the same size. I do have energy suspension bushings in the swaybar, and that inner sleave is a one piece. Don't want to beat it in and never get it out. Any ideas?
    Update See Below!!!

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I had to loosen the big bolt that holds my quick disconnects on top of the ubolt cap. Even then I had to use a big hammer. Tighten down the big bolt. THen drive!
    The drive lossened mine up a bit. Now I can do it (albeit with difficulty) by hand.

Good Luck.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Youll get use to them. THey are tough at first, but then you get use to putting them back in. Keep the big bolt loose unitl you get it connected. After you get it connected, tighten the big bolt.

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

DO what the guys said, and also bring a hammer with you in your toolbox. If the truck is not perfectly level the swaybar will have pressure on it and the pins are hard to get in and out. On the trail you will hardly ever be level, and even if you are, they can be tough! So, bring the hammer with you and it will be much easier...also, you can have your friends bounce the front of the truck, that usually helps...

Or, you can do like some of us do and just leave them disconnected all the time! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

If you choose to leave the big bolt loose be careful. I lost the big bolt and the disconnect on one side by leaving it loose on the trail. It cost $48 for 1/2 a kit. Once you have it connected loosen up the swaybar where it connects to the frame and then retighten it on level ground. That should take some of the bind out of it.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When I got my disconnects, My pins wouldn't go threw the holes in the disconnect. I had to file the edges of the holes where the pin goes threw the disconnect. I am assuming this was because of the Zinc coating had possibly filed the holes a little. This might be part of your pin problem, and the other part is what is stated above.

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

The disconnects I made are the same way.If the truck is on any type of angle they are harder to get in.I thought it was just mine /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Update!!!
    Well I finally took the swarbar out and beat on the pin as hard as I could and it would not move in or out. Used the sazzal and cut the pin on both sides of the bushings, pushed the pin and sleeve out of the swaybar bushings, and finally had to cut the sleeve to get the rest of the pin out.
    So I was careful enough not to hurt the poly bushings but I needed a new inner sleeve and a new pin. Went to the local tractor dealer for the pin, found one about 3" too long. Figured I'd cut it and drill a new pin hole, cost $3.50. And right below the pins were a few boxes of bushing/sleeves, and there were some that had the same outside diameter, and slightly larger inside diameter. The ORD pin and my new one fit perfectly in them, moved easily and almost no slop! Bought 2 of them ($1.00 each), cut .5" off and WAMM!!! Put everything togeather it its easy as pie to connect/disconnect!!! I love it, thought you guys might want to know.