Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with Primer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Jul 13, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

My K5 is solid black, and my hood and roof are flaky and faded like they are notorious for. Well tonight I'm planning on priming my roof and hood. I need to know what grit sandpaper to use and is there any special technique at all? I have never primed anything so all help would be nice.

Thanks

89 K5 Silverado

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have heard that you DONOT want to leave it with just a coat of primer. Primer will not keep the metal from rusting so put a coat of enamel on even if it flat black.
    As far as the sand paper I would just start with medeum and then goto fine. Oh and a light sanding of the coat of primer will give the enamal a good serface to stick to!
    Good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Really......
    hmmm.... I'll look into it.

89 K5 Silverado

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey MudFrog, This is a pretty involved subject, but I'll give ya my 2 cents. If you are sanding down the current paint to the metal and intend to leave the truck in primer you need to get an "epoxy" type primer. This type will resist water penetration. I would suggest sanding the factory paint until all the loose stuff is gone and then spraying a compatible" sanding" type primer. I would use 180 grit paper with a Dual-action sander if you have an air compressor. Otherwise maybe 220 or 300 wet sanding by hand would work. It's all in the preperation. You don't want to go much finer than 300 or you new topcoat won't have anything to bite into. It's usually recomended to "not" take it to the bare metal if the current paint is still stuck down well. Post back if this seems screwy....I'll try to help.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Michael...you forgot to tell him about the surface rust and POR-15 type material to rid the surface of rust prior to adding any type of paint...otherwise all for not...

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

<font color=green>I agree with Michael. I'm also in the process of primering my whole truck (as we speak). I've made a couple of rookie mistakes already. I used some pretty harsh sandpaper to strip off the old paint. If the original paint isn't that bad just wet sand it to remove the top coat. The primer would have a better surface to grab on to. Its a pain in the A$$ tryin to sand down the scratches I made with the gritty sand paper. And remember that primer itself doesn't do jack for keeping moisture out. good luck.</font color=green>

BLAZE IT UP!!!