Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with Q-jet

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Dec 9, 2003.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Okay, this has been a problem for a while. My Q-jet's choke thermo. died last winter. I got a new one. since then, the thing is quite a PIA to get started in the cold. It kicks in liek the throttle gets stuck 3/4 of the way open, and is almost impossible to kick down untill it warms up a little. I actually have to rev the heck outta the thing for it to stop making soo much noise (3" single w/ flowmaster ain't neighborly at 12am /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) The carb was never like this before, even when the choke was on. I've used tons of carb cleaner and so on. this happeend after the Paragon ride in 2002. I think the carb needs a rebuild.. again. but what I don't understand is that the carb was rebuilt about 3 months before I took it out to paragon /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. anyone have any clues?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sounds like you have a fast idle problem....what year q-jet? computer controlled or no?

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

back the screw off a little that is on the left side of the carb if you are standing in front of it facing the windshield. That is your fast idle, I turned mine up yesterday and it helped but my choke still doesn't work.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds like you need to turn the idle speed screw counterclockwise

very easy fix here, the screw is on pass side of carb under the throttle blades shaft, look for the screw when you are looking at front side of carb, you might need a flashlight to see it under there, it can be torx or flator phillips they used all three throughout the years