Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with remote keyless entry!

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Blazin Ed, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

Just bought a '97 Tahoe LT from a dealer... Does anyone know how I can tell if it came with a remote keyless entry system? If so, can I get the transmitters through a Chevy dealer?

2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

You might want to do a search. Somebody brought this up not to long ago. There is a way to test your system to tell whether your truck has a keyless entry system or not by grounding a terminal on the diagnostic connecter under the dash. I do remember a suggestion to check Ebay for new key fobs. Much cheaper than dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

There is a option code for it.

I'd bet it does. It's fairly rare for it not to have keyless. They 'prolly just lost the fob. Call up a dealer, give them the VIN, they should be able to find out from that, or atleast give you the option number to look up (located on the glove-box door). The cost of a fob is a-bit expensive, whoever you bought the thing from - should cover it "in-good-will". (chances are - they prolly have a box full of 'em, somewhere, I know we do. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

5. b55baron

b55baron Registered Member

It should be listed in the option codes inside the glove box door. I bought a pair off of ebay last winter that were brand new in the original packaging for less than $20.00. Took them to a local dealer and they programmed them for free. Just make sure that you take all of them that you intend to use (my owners manual says each vehicle can use up to four remotes) to be programmed at the same time or the others won't work.

The ones I bought were for the same model year as my truck but for a different model (Suburban vs. Pick-up). I know the remotes have changed some over the years but I don't know how compatible they are from year to year. The ones I bought listed the GM numbers from the back of the fobs and they matched the numbers on the ones I had.

Good luck.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought a pair off of ebay last winter that were brand new in the original packaging for less than $20.00.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wow ! Thats a deal.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Took them to a local dealer and they programmed them for free. Just make sure that you take all of them that you intend to use (my owners manual says each vehicle can use up to four remotes) to be programmed at the same time or the others won't work.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Check'.

[ QUOTE ]
    I know the remotes have changed some over the years but I don't know how compatible they are from year to year.

[/ QUOTE ]
    They change often, both in funtion and in operation. For, I assume, security ressons.
    [ QUOTE ]
    The ones I bought listed the GM numbers from the back of the fobs and they matched the numbers on the ones I had.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Check.

Much better than my reply, well done. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

In order to determine if your truck originally came with keyless entry, consult the RPO placard located inside the glovebox. If you find code "AU0", it was originally equipped with KE.

Remotes can be purchased from the dealer, but why when you can score one on eBay for less than $20. I recently bought three on eBay for a whopping total of $27, including shipping. The number for the remote is 16245100-29. Do a search on eBay in titles AND descriptions and pick one. Just make sure that it is a three button remote ("lock", "unlock" and "rear 2X"). The four button variant will work, but the additional red "panic" horn button will be inop.

Same can be said of programming the remotes: why go to the dealer when you can do it yourself in two minutes with a paper clip?

This procedure will only work if the truck was originally equipped with keyless entry! Have ALL of your remotes with you when performing the programming, as it will erase all other previously stored remote info. A total of 4 remotes may be programmed at one time.

[​IMG]

On the OBDII connector under the steering column, jumper pins 4 and 8 (see picture). The door locks should cycle. Press and hold the "lock" and "unlock" buttons on the remote simultaneously until the door locks cycle again. Release buttons. The remote is now programmed.

Repeat the above procedure for any other remotes BEFORE removing the jumper! Remove jumper when finished. Your new remotes should now operate the vehicle functions.

Hope that helps!