Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with removing hub to replace wheel bearing........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silver84k5, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I got all the way to the spring that pops out when you take the keeper ring off, now i cant get the rest of it off, i got that special hub wrench, My dad bought it to work on his ford awhile back, it has the same Warns hubs as my truck but the hub wrench doesnt seem to fit correctly, do i need a "Chevy hub wrench to get this damn thing off? pls help, thank you

2. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

yep
    i think the chevy is diff than the f&^d hub

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the spring thing shouldnt pop off
    did you undo a little phillips head screw? you didnt need to(if i understood your post)
    did you remove the outer snap ring that retains the lock out body to the hub then use the lock out allen bolts as handles to remove the warn lock outs to get to the spindle nut?

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

heres a step-by-step. Start off my removing the allen screws that hold the cap of the locking hub on. next, romove the cap and remove the snap ring on the end of the exle shaft. Next remove the large snap ring that is set into the snout on the rotor assembly it helps to press in on the hub because there is a large sping behind it putting pressure on the snap ring and then remove the locking hub. after you get the hub off, you will need a spindle nut socket. Its a large socket with four prongs on it. Use it to remove the spindle nut and then pry off the lock ring and remove the second spindle nut.

Now you should be able to remove the rotor assembly. The outer bearing assembly should come out with no trouble, the inner bearing you can pry past the seal, ruining the seal. But thats ok, you should replace that anyhow. Next you have to drive out the bearing races by using a long piece of metal, preferably something soft like brass but I just used a long bolt I had handy. Just tap the race on opposite sides and make sure it comes out evenly. To put new races in just use your old ones as the installer and pound on those. the inner one can go on pretty easy because there isnt very far to drive it, just make sure you keep is straight. they outer race takes a bit longer but just take your time and make sure you keep it straight.

Sorry this was so long, I just went through this a few weeks ago and wanted to share my experience.