Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help with Router... Home Cable Modem, 2 Computers, Small Network

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 350350, Feb 24, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

OK, here's the status...

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I currently have one very old and hobbling 366 Celeron that has been limping along for about a year now. It's attached to our cable modem for our internet access.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I ordered a new Dell 3GHz Decked Out machine that will be here tomorrow that I want to network with the Old Mule to share files and the printer, as well as the cable modem.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The Celeron is running Windows 98SE and the Dell will be running XP Professional.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I know I need a router to connect to my cable modem to make this small network work right. I'm not going wireless because what I've described above took every penny I've got and my network isn't going to expand any time soon. It all sits on the same desk. The last time I configured a router was probably about 1997 and I had to hook it to a 'dumb term' and give it an IP address so that I could telnet into it and finish configuring it from there.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I went to Best Buy and found a $50 router/switch combination that I have no idea how to configure. My cable modem works with DHCP so there's no IP address to configure, and having the switch integrated into the router is new to me. I've been out of sys admin since about 2000.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I won't be surprised if you tell me that I simply plug the router into the cable modem, and the PC's into the 'switch' side of the router/switch, and it's all plug and play. But that sounds way too good to be true.

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I'm sure I can figure it out, but I'd really like to have everything running tomorrow night before I go to bed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I also plan to leave the printer connected to the Celeron and share it with the new Dell. Thing is, it's a printer/scanner/copier/fax and I'm not sure about sharing all of those features over a network connection.

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I'm also wondering if all of my Windows 2000 software will run right on XP Professional...

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif In any case, the router is the main thing I need help with. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Just for fun, here's the specs on the new Dell:

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif 3GHz Pentium 4 Processor with 800MHz FSB

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif XP Professional

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif 1 Gig of RAM at 400MHz

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif 120Gb HD @7200rpm

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif 16x DVD-ROM

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif 8x DVD-RW

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif 17" Viewable Ultrasharp Digital Flat Panel Display

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif New 128MB DDR GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif All the other crap they give with package deals these days...

This is a MAJOR purchase for us... We've been putting it off and were going to buy just a bare bones system, but by the time you add in a DVD writer and a flat panel display, XP Professional, and a few other things, the bare bones system costs more than the high end system that already comes with all that anyway... Anyways...

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

OK heres what you do....Oh wait I just realized I don't know sh!t about computers.....Nevermind... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Most of these integrated routers are pretty simple to configure. Usually you just plug a computer into the LAN side and the router will give it an address then you can access the address of the router and configure it through a web browser. I've done a few of them and the instructions were pretty good if you new the concepts. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Providing the cable modem is setup...
    Shut everything down, including modem and router...
    now wire everything up, network wires, power wires, etc
    power up the modem and router, then the computers, pop the router install cd in and click install, it will walk you threw the router setup...

open internet explorer click tools at the top, internet options, then the connections tab, click setup at the top, click next, then setup the network connection myself then just click continue on everything minus setup email now (select no) then finish... both machine should be online now. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

This might sound too obvious, but be sure to change the default password on the router or you will be hacked in no time. I have seen too many routers with the default password. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I also recommend closing all inbound ports to your router configuration. Some routers provide telnet, http, or ftp access for configuration. Most have the ports closed from outside in and open from the inside.

Also, check out the free program 'ShieldsUp' from grc.com. It will scan your ports for you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

yeah thats true... althought the setup on my new dlink gave the usual IP address to access it but the setup made you pick your own password... so there's no defualt password to get into the setup but during the you have to set your own password... kind of a work around for people not changing the password.
    Also dont change alot of the router settings until you get both machines online, then tinker with the security settings and make sure both machines are still online. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

good call on the password /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help!

Now I got another question! I got the router working and both computers are going out through it to the internet.

However, they can't see each other!

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The XP machine can see its own shares and the LAN.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The 98SE machine can see its own shares and nothing else. Although it's technically using the LAN to get out to the internet, right? (Integrated switch/router...)

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I have them both set up on the same Workgroup.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I can't 'find' them on the network using their names.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Help! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif The two machines can ping each other, so there is an actual network route between them. It's got to be in the settings.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Would you believe that in 1998 I was a Unix Systems Administrator building global networks and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on hardware, software, and manpower to make it all work together? Now I can't even get two PC's on my desk at home to talk to each other!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif All I can say is... Linux!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK heres what you do....Oh wait I just realized I don't know sh!t about computers.....Nevermind... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently I know about as much as you do!!!

10. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Can you find them on the network using the IP addresses n a search?

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Can you find them on the network using the IP addresses n a search?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tried... Notta. Not by IP address or Computer Name. But can ping by IP address.

12. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Do you have file and print sharing set up on the windows 98 machine? The service needs to be installed for it to see any other computers on a peer-to-peer.

13. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

In windows XP you have to actually right click on every folder that you want to share and goto to sharing and security then check the box to allow to share it on the network.

14. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Oh, one other thing...
    Do you have the XP firewall running on the XP machine?

15. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Look here for help
    http://www.dslreports.com/
    or im me and il get ya fixed up,
    also is the xp box a fat 32 or ntfs file system ?
    i ask that because fat 32 and ntfs dont like to work
    to well togther
    well let us know how it turns out

16. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you have file and print sharing set up on the windows 98 machine? The service needs to be installed for it to see any other computers on a peer-to-peer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Got that much figured out after some searching through the help stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In windows XP you have to actually right click on every folder that you want to share and goto to sharing and security then check the box to allow to share it on the network.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is one folder set up to be shared over the network as you stated above, but do I have to do it for every subfolder inside that one too??? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

18. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, one other thing...
    Do you have the XP firewall running on the XP machine?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could tell you. How do I find out? I didn't install or set it up myself, that much I can say. My router has a firewall so I didn't install one on the new XP machine. The 98SE machine has one, but I turned it off to try to do the networking.

19. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Right-click on "My Network Places" on the desktop, and choose "properties".
    In that window, right-click on "Local Area Connection", and choose "properties", again.
    When the properties window pops up, click on the "Advanced" tab at the top of the box.
    The firewall settings are right there.

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You don't have to actually share anything, just have sharing turned on to see the other machine. Although, sharing something is probably the point of getting the two to talk...

What you could try at the XP command line (start->run->type CMD and hit enter):
    type "Net use \\[ip addr of win98 box]" (without quotes) and hit enter.
    See if it prompts you for a username and password. If so, security is definately your problem and not firewalling/or IP connectivity.

ICMP is used in DOS attacks, so if you did actually have your firewall turned on, it should be blocking the pings and not responding.