Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need HELP with some information about hard Top mounting

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, May 28, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok here is the deal. STC is getting a complaint of the first Gen trucks about the bed rails on the fast track not linining up on the holes.
    I'm not a second gen owner so I didn't know this off the top of my head. STC asked if I could help them find out. The one guy in particular has a 1970 model that the rails do not line up. STC sent a second set that they made sure the mounting holes were correct to the templet. Same problem.
    I pointed out that I knew that there were two different hard tops, the single wall and the double wall. What I didn't know is if the mounting holes were in different locations. Anybody know? Can anybody give me measurments and the year so we can find out? The measurments they would need are distance from inside of the bed rail to the center of the mounting hole. From the door frame to the first and last holes (if you wanted to give me the distance to all the holes that would be fine also).
    STC is making an honest attempt to try to resolve some problems to provide a better top. If you guys are seeing problems let me know and what you think it will take to correct and I'll get the info to STC.
    I'm aware of some feeling that the stiching needs to be doubled up Give me the locations. Some complaints about leaks at the corner of the windsheild also. Let me know what you think it will take to correct the problem.
    Don't make this a rant post. If soemody has pointed out the problem already that's what I need.
    First thing They need is this bed rail information. That's the problem they are starting on.
    Thanks!

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

The tops are interchangeable. I've never heard of the holes being different. the only diffrence in the tops is that the double wall bolts up with the nuts in the top itself and the single goes down with the bolts tacked to the rail. i will take some emasurements when i get home. i have a doublewall top. id be willing to bet thjat its just his body mounts sagging. someitmes i have a little trouble getting my hardtop back on because they sag.

nathan

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup, the holes should be in the same location. I have a single wall top and will measure mine too. My holes are oval shaped so there is 1/2 of front to back 'play' per hole.
    Anyway i'll do my best to remember to take the mesurments!

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have 2 different sets of holes on my body.one has a nut with a metal casing to hold it in place.then i have a second set that the bolts go through into the top itself.i have the double wall,but i dont know what came on there stock.maybe my truck is one of those oddballs that someone jerryrigged together.from what ive repaired from the previous owner,he really liked to cut and hack and basically he was an idiot.

5. Grim-Reaper

Come on guys! Need a little more.

6. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Hard Top Mounting - Single vs. Double Wall

Grim
    This is sketchy now. I am in Peru and got a mail from my body guy. He is trying to align new NOS quarters - which have been installed on the GMC - using the original double walled top. He says the bedside rails have only holes with nuts welded in - no open holes to allow a bolt from below for a double walled top. The holes in the bedsides are 4-6" out of phase with the nuts in the top. I have forwarded him this link and he will provide the measurements when he can.

The lack of simple holes (without nuts) in the bedside rail (those which would facilitate installation of the double wall top) leads me to suspect that all the quarters were built with the nuts in place perhaps, for a single wall top, which I guess would bolt down to the bed rail from the top. I would guess further that these bedsides were modified to accomodate the double walled tops with a drill bit. Possibly there were 2 separate part numbers - one for single walled and one for double walled tops - I don't know.

I have both the old bedsides (double wall) and the newones from which to measure. Problem is, I won't be back for a few weeks. FWIW, a possible solution...

I am interested in a quality Fastrac as well, getting close now to needing one.

Good luck and good work

7. jello

jello Registered Member

My brother owns a 1971 K5 and I spoke to him we have confirmed that the holes in our bed rails are in the same exact locations. The truck I have as a one owner vehicle before I bought it and the top had never been off until I unbolted it. The top on my truck is a 'double wall'. My brothers is a 'single wall' top again the holes are in the same location:

Holes are about 9/16" from the inside edge of the bed rails

From front to back, tape hooked on door jamb in line with holes:

4 3/4"
    17 3/4"
    30 11/16"
    43 1/2"
    56 7/16"
    70 5/8"

From back to front tape hooked in line with holes but in tailgate notch:

3 13/16"
    18 1/16"
    30 15/16"
    43 13/16"
    56 3/4"
    69 11/16"

Please advise.

8. Grim-Reaper

Re: Hard Top Mounting - Single vs. Double Wall

That is interesting. The guy that is having the trouble putting on the fast track is complaing that the holes in the rails are off about the same amount. I wonder if he has replacment bed sides and that's where the issue is. Most people are saying the holes are in the same place but we have a guy saying he has two sets of holes but doesn't know why.

9. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Re: Hard Top Mounting - Single vs. Double Wall

I have the NOS bedsides I put on and the original Jimmy bedsides, as well as the 72 K5 which also has a double walled top. When I get back to the states I'll check everything out.