Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with suburban purchase? PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcjimmy88, Apr 13, 2005.

?

Should I buy this one this or not?

1. Buy this One

16.7%
  2. Buy this one wait for something to break

16.7%
  3. Wait and try to find something cheaper

66.7%
  4. Stay away from this model. Please state your reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

I am looking at 1993 GMC Suburban. It has 208000 miles. It is 2WD which is fine by me (if it was 4 it would end up looking as bad as my beat up jimmy). Interior is almost perfect no rip no tears. Has the third seat. Tilt wheel, cruise, front and rear heat/a/c, towing package, running boards. It has manual windows and door locks. The exterior is almost perfect as well. Has a little bit of rust starting at the lower doors. The guy is asking $3400.00 for it. I plan on using it as a tow vehicle for my jimmy and a slight DD. Do you all think it is worth the money. I realize that KBB and NADA both say it is worth $5000-$6500. I know that I may be looking at a motor or a trans in the near future (the guy says the trans. was rebuilt within a year but no proof). The Exhaust, Brakes, and radiator was replaced in the last year. It is an automatic just so you all know as well. The tires are matching and half tread. Also it is a clear title. Please tell me what you all think and what problems I might be looking at and what I need to be looking for. Thanks

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I'm assuming its a 3/4 ton if you are going to be using it as your tow rig. If not, scratch the idea and find a 3/4 ton.

With miles like that, i'd think you'd be due for an engine rebuild soon too. But it depends on how it has been used.

3. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Well i think for a 2wd you could probably find 1 for a better price...I found a buddy of mine a 91 fully loaded with a 350/700r4 with brand new tires for $700... The only thing i can say it needs is a paint job.... It is blue and silver and GM had a problem with silver pealing for a few years..He has had it a little over a year and put about 30,000 miles on it and so far he has not had any problems...So if you consider the price of the truck your looking at and then you figure on the motor and tranny needing work or being replaced then you could wind up with more in it then you would like...So that is my 2 cents worth...Oh yeah let me throw another penny in before i go...Why not just get a 4wd it is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not to have it... Just a thought any how good luck on whatever decision you make..

4. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

I thought about a 4wd but I know myself. I will take it out and screw it up. I realize it has high mileage but I think it makes up for with the condition it is in. The body and interior is near perfect. Hell it is better than my 2002 van. It came back with a clean carfax report. Says it has had one owner which suprised me. Figured that was a line of crap. The tires are almost new Michelins ltx's. Thanks for all the inputs guys. Keep the opinions coming please.

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know of one down here. 3/4, auto, towing hitch and wiring, 4wd, new MT 10x16s, new trans with proof, new brakes, rotors, wheel studs. It needs shocks, tires and a alignment bad. Its my father in laws, he is out of work and needs to sell it. Black with red interior, 1993 with JVC tape deck and 6 disc changer. I'll check to see what he owes and the miliage if your interested.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I cant really say. I spent 1150 to buy a 83 2wd 1/2 ton burb, with some seriously rusty rockers and doors. But the engine is good (6.2) radiator is good, and it was a silverado.

Honestly wouldnt have bought it, for it not have been diesel. The real seller was the diesel of course.

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't give much more than $2000 with that many miles. It's 12 years old and about used up.