Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with this VDO Tach, Please!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chriskh, Oct 28, 2005.

1. chriskh

chriskh Registered Member

I just purchased this VDO Tach and I don't know where the wires go. I have posted pics below for help. Can someone tell me how to wire it in my '76 K5 Blazer??? There are a total of 5 wires all together (green, red, white, blue, and black). The blue and black wires are spliced together for some reason or another... Anyone know why?? Please tell me where these wires go. I need help! I have no experience with tachs so this is a first for me. I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm sure I've got some paperwork on that somewhere. I'll have a look at work tomorrow.

3. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Usually they are very standard:
    Green: Neg side of coil or tach plug on hei
    White: Dash lights
    Red: Hot
    Black: Ground
    Blue: Just a guess here but since it is spliced to the black purhaps it is a ground for the light?

4. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

I used a vdo one time and the dial to set the size engine 4 6 8 did not have stops built in to indicate which on it was working in. Well it caused me to turn a engine nearly 14k. I regularly turn it 9-10k during races so it is always loud. but people in the pit said they have never heard a car turned up so high. Its a long story but i hate those tachs. The motor threw the #1 rod out and it destroyed the entire motor. Just dont use it and trust it. I had a helmet on and could not tell but daily driver you will know if it is right.

5. chriskh

Thanks guys. The guy I bought it from had it in his 350 V8 (same motor I've got) hot rod so I know it will work fine and it is set to "8" inside. Now I just have to find the tach plug on the hei. Any one know what this looks like or where it is?

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Early HEI (pre TBI) has it writen on the dizzy where your power wire goes in.

7. chriskh

Well, I found it.... I wish I had an oem plug to stuick in there though. I guess I'm going to have to get creative. I appreciate all the help you guys have given me! Thanks butt loads!:bow: :k5:

8. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

mine is hooked up with just a run of the mill blade style connector... might have required some creative bending of the connector... and i KNOW it required a lot of swearing as there was a ton of stuff in the way that prevented me from seeing the actual connector i was plugging in 90% of the time