Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with tire decision...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by turdmagnet, Jan 16, 2007.

1. turdmagnet

turdmagnet Registered Member

Tires are going on a '74 K5 with stock suspension. I've more or less narrowed down my choices to the BFG Mud Terrain, the Destination M/T, or the Toyo M-55. I like all of these because I can get them in the E load range (10 ply sidewall), and they are not made of soft rubber so I can get 35,000 miles out of them on pavement. Which are best, if any? Do you reccomend another brand or a different tire altogether? Do any of these tires suck so bad that you wouldn't put them on your worst enemy's truck? :confused:

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I would suggest the BFGs. I had 31", then 33" All Terrains, and I liked them. I have friends who use the Mud Terrains and really like them.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had BFG A/T's and now have Goodyear MTR's. Both great tires. The A/T's were great on the road and if the Mud Terrains wear nearly as well that's the way I would go.

4. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

X3 on BFG. I've run a couple of sets of BFG Commercial T/A 10 ply's on my pickup. No flats since I switched to 10ply's on it.

I just put 32x11.5x15 BFG A/T KO's on my Blazer and so far so good. Although, I haven't done any brush running in them yet.:thinking:

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I have 35x12.50-15 BFG MTs on mine right now. The sidewalls are a little worrisome (I'm actually running a tube on my right rear) but if you're going with Load E, then that's not an issue.
    Other than that, I'm really pleased with them. Had them out last weekend in some really soupy mud and was able to go through all but the worst of it in 2WD.

6. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

The BFG MT's are great tires but living in Colorado if your going to drive it on the street much this winter your going to want something with some siping on it. I switched over to the Swamper Trxus MT's this year for the extra siping.

7. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

When my Blazer was stock, I had some 33x10.5x15 BFG MT's on it, and they fit, rode, and wore perfectly. Plus they look pretty :D (a set of 5 is sitting in my garage since I did my 12" lift and 39.5" TrXus Swampers).

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I like the BFG's, they wear well. If your planning on any muck get the MT's, the At's load up quick.

9. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

i've got the Destination M/t's and are more than happy with them.$545 otd.MOUNTED,BALANCED.they perform very well,quieter than the BFG's,and what i like most so far is that i've been running them for just over 3yrs.now and with a tad over 43,000mi.,they show little sign of wear.only noticable wear is from running it for a month with worn balljoints on pass.side.i hope they make them in 37's at some point.they dig well and find traction in short order as well in the muddy cornfields/pastures.most people don't even consider them since they're Firestones.they're loss!