Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with tire problem - *Update*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Sep 29, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ok, a week or so ago I posted about a possible bent axle. Well, I haven't had to drive more than 3 miles a day, so I haven't worried about it until tonight, prepping for a drive to NYC tomorrow morning.

I jacked it up and spun the tires, and noticed a big lump in my pass side tire, and the inner tread seeming to rise up.
    Here're photos: k5.8m.com
    Welcome to America. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 09/29/01 12:34 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Re: Need help with tire problem

Either a snapped or about to snap belt ya got there[​IMG] - probably hit a rock or pothole just right and bruised it. While it'd theoretically hold up to driving 80 or so miles, I'd be a little hesitant to take it over 20 mph.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Sounds like almost when you have a hose with a weak spot the pressure builds in that area and presses out... like a funky bubble forming and then when it gets weak enough and enough pressure builds it break... I don't know how to explain it... like when the tire came out it had a place that was tweeked and not the right thickness compared to the rest of the trie... or it could be something seperated or snapped in there and is now making that bump and wearing it thin in that spot really quickly.... I wouldn't knowing drive on that but that is me... never know when it could let go. Would suck if you were on the highway and going 65mph...

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Yorkin'...I wasted WAY too many years as a tire-buster. What you got there is the classic case of a busted/slipped belt. It could blow right now where it sits, or hold out for a week. Don't let your kids walk anywhere near the truck!!! I had one that got me back home and then blew while it was parked!! I wouldn't drive an inch on that tire...and I'm a CHEAP bastidge!!! If you go NEAR that tire...wear safety glasses and let the air out and get away fom it!! This comes from a guy that used to routinely break down split-rim truck tires including stuff left over from WW2! Don't risk it.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Im a tire changer too and I totally agree with the advice just given by EDdaTree

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Shoot, that's what I was hopin' not to hear... But that's why I posted! Awesome response!!

I drove on it so long not knowing what it was I figured I could keep going a little more, but I'd rather remain uninjured...

EDda, you've got me thinking I might just go out and deflate it right now...

Tire shop instead of work tomorrow I guess! Cripes, that means I'll have to use the un-inspected Heep to get the new tire...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Also lookes like you have been runnning your tire pressure lower that you should... the tires are not wearing even....Time for new tires

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

8. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

If you're running rubber valves...just rip it outta the rim with vice-grips and run like hell. If ya got a valve-core tool...loosen and go to bed. If ya got steel valves, loosen outside nut and bail. Can't stress enough how quick ya can get screwewd up by a tire blowing!

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah I read about a guy getting killed once filling up a tire for someone that just stopped by his shop. I gained a new respect for 35PSI and tires!! I have a core tool, I'm just going to loosen it and hit the sack.. I was s'posed to get up in 4 hours...

Thanks for the responses!!

Ratch
    Welcome to America.

10. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

35 PSI will still blow your head off!! I can finally sleep now that I know you'll be okay. Give us an all-clear when ya loosen the core and get back okay, okay?

11. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

35 PSI will still blow your head off!! I can finally sleep now that I know you'll be okay. Give us an all-clear when ya loosen the core and get back okay, okay?

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

LOL, sorry for no update last night!! I finally crashed at 4 after watching another round of WTC tear jerker's then airing the tire down.

Apparently that tire was in pretty bad shape all around. When I pulled it off the rim at my buddy's junkyard, the inner bead shredded...

And I totally messed up setting up the spare the first time around; it's on a Heep 6-lug wheel, and the centerbore doesn't fit the rear hub. It's also an 8 inch rim with a 12.5 tire, so getting it off the rim was impossible on his tire machine (pre-aluminum style). I'm just going to leave it on and shave the center a little, tire shop prices (even just for a balance) are starting to really hurt.

Thanks again y'all.

Ratch
    Welcome to America.

13. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

If its a regular tire machine with the vertical shaft, use the bottom bead breaker by itself. You can flip the rim and tire over to break the other bead.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, that's the machine. We tried that, but the bottom breaker kept sliding up the rim, darn thing has no lip at the edge. We even tried the ancient manual machine before giving up. I was just bein' cheap, trying to move the spare onto the full-time slot. I figure I'll leave it alone as the spare and make it fit, since it looks like the only way to get it off will be take it to a shop with a newer machine (which'll cost me another pile), and I'd have to buy a new rim anyway. I got a new tire on the full-time rim, so I'll just leave that whole goof as a spare...

Ratch
    Welcome to America.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Ratch, that's exactly what I was talking about with the belt shifting/breaking in the tire...good to hear you're getting it fixed and it wasn't anything worse!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, tires can bite you. My grandfather has a visible DENT in his forehead from a truck tire that exploded in his face when he was young, working the coal mines of Scranton, PA. He lost like 5 days of his life-he was out cold for 2 days following, and doesn't remember the 2 days preceeding the explosion.

I have a picture somewhere of a Navy aircraft mechanic who was literally torn in half by a sidewall blowout of an A-6 main tire. The inflator gauge was stuck at 275psi and wouldn't read further, the tire was supposed to get 350psi, and the regulator on the nitrogen cart was set at 600psi. Nasty sight...

September 11, 2001--"A date which will live in infamy"

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

tRusty, thanks, your reply to the bent axle post was the first thing I thought of when I saw the bump..

Jarhead, 350PSI?????? Did they ever find the piece that hit the guy???? How thick are those tires???

Ratch
    Welcome to America.

18. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Hey Yorkin.. if ya still wanna try the tire machine, stabd on the pedal that runs the bead-breaker up...flip the breaker to the right on it's hinge, take out the spacer plate and flip the breaker back where it was. NOW that breaker will break your bead for you..also you don't want any tire lube on it when you're trying to break the bottom bead. Just watch it don't rip up the rim too much.