Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with tire wear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LlanoK5, Jul 28, 2003.

1. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Ok, here's the deal, I've got an 83 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif that the front tires have been leaning out at the top for some time now. I just replaced the ball joints (which was what my asking around said it would be), but my tires still lean. I need new tires, I'm just not wanting to buy any till I get the leaning problem fixed. My tierod is bent, and both ends need replacing, if that helps any. Could someone who knows more about the front end please help solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Kirk

2. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

Check your wheel bearings for wear and correct adjustment

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Get a new tierod and set your toe-in to specs.

This will more than likely cure your prob....

Do they "appear" to be leaning in when looking at it from the front, or are your tires wearing on the outside??

Rob

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Sounds like too much camber so they're riding on the outer edges. I just went thru a set of tires on my 88, same thing, Outer edge wore out and can see top of tires leaning out. The alignment spec calls for 1.5 degs positive. Im going to have mine set to .25 and see how it works.

5. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

The tops of the tires are leaning out and wearing the outer edges.

Where is the adjustment for the camber? I don't have a clue about aligning this thing or any other thing for that matter.

Kirk

6. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

They make speacial bushings to cure that problem. I just did a alingment today on a chevy truck that required the bushings. I can get the part # for you. It would be a napa part #.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They also make a tapered shim for behind the spindle...but I've never gone out and bought a set so I can't help much more than that./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

You could also 'sky' the truck and hope the housing bends just enough.../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

8. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They make speacial bushings to cure that problem. I just did a alingment today on a chevy truck that required the bushings. I can get the part # for you. It would be a napa part #.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually use Car Quest, I get better prices there, but I'm almost certain that I could get the Car Quest # to match if I had the napa #.

9. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You could also 'sky' the truck and hope the housing bends just enough...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good idea...on the other hand I'm trying to get my ride and handling better not tear the crap out of my truck. It probably would be fun though, if I can't get it fixed the old fashioned way I'll use your idea.

Kirk