Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help with truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76blaz, Jul 30, 2001.

1. 76blaz

76blaz Registered Member

I have a 76 blazer that I want to run 37" x 13" tires on a 4" suspension lift (will cut fenders to make fit) and a Detroit Locker in the front and ARB Air Locker in the rear. Need to know if the stock Dana 44 (front) and 12 Bolt (rear) will work or if I need to upgrade. Also should I stay with the 203 or change to a 205 transfer case. Right now the transfer case is leaking from the front drive shaft, and the front hubs have been changed to manual lock out hubs.

Thanks for any help.

No trail 2 muddy, No rock 2 big

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Detroit needs to go in the back. ARB's are prone to blowing out. ARB in the front is going to limit your chances of blowing front axle shafts. Your going to be more carefull since you know when it's engaged you can refraim fron craninking hard on the steering and getting the u-joints in a bind.
    Fact of the matter is your well past the gray area on the front axle and you seriously need to concider putting a 14 bolt in the rear and a D60 in the front.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

3. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Be fine for awhile, as long as you don't do any serious wheeling. I think I would put the ARB in the front and the detroit in the rear though..

Keep it simple!

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

You're prob'ly gonna break some front u-joints, but hell, 33"s can do that. Locate some spare shafts, or swap to alloy(Moser, Warn, etc).

Rear should be fine.

Another thing you might consider is using a chinese u-joint on the pinion end of the front driveshaft. It will break before your hubs or u-joints.

Finally, you might consider Warn's new fusible hub links, designed to strip out before the joints go. This is only if you run Warn hubs. They're $25 a set.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!