Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with Turbo 350 leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Michael, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It appears that tranny fluid is leaking out of the passenger side of the tranny. There is a round cap aprrox. 4" diameter held in with a snap ring. It seems to be leaking out there. Can I pop that cap off and stick in a new gasket or o-ring with out fouling anything up? Should I drain the fluid out first? This is a 2wd but it should be the same on all of 'em I guess. I believe the governor is on the driver side.....just not sure what's behind this cap. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifThanks!

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

i think you should be able to take it off with no problem (not totally positive). if i remember correctly, that is where something spins around, and has to do with the shift of the transmission. <-- real technical jargon! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

1-2 Shift accumulator cover. Napa has the O-Ring for about $3.
    Sometimes corrosion forms in the bottom of the bore and causes this. some 300grit emmory cloth to smooth it out.
    There is a spring behind that cover and you have to press in on the cover so you can pry out the wire retainer ring.
    My 75 has the same problem and I can't get it to completly stop. I been searching for an answer as to why it does this. One thing I was told is the piston behind that cover is not sealing well and fluid is getting past at a higher rate than it can drain off. there is a drain hole in the bottom of the bore.
    No need to drain the pan just run both passenger side wheels up onto ramps to get the fluid over on the driverside. some residual may still drain out so have a pan ready.

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Thanks Grim! I'll give that a try in the next day or so.

5. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

and remove the spring if u want a snapier (1-2) shift
    if ur not removing the spring u will have to push on the cover to get the locking ring in the grove

btw there a small hole on the outside of the housing that u can use to push the locking ring (use a small awl,or nail)then pry the ring whit a flat screwdriver.
    the hole is in the rear of the trany

if ur not sure what i'm talking about, pm me, will do my best to help a fellow k5-er!!