Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help With Water Proofing Starter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by teamgerth, Feb 21, 2005.

1. teamgerth

teamgerth Registered Member

Does any one know how to water proof a starter. Every time I go wheeling in the deep mud I burn up a starter by getting mud and water in it. THANKS

2. short sub

short sub Registered Member

im assuming this is for a sb chevy if so try this one day. go to a part store and ask to look at a typical starter for a 80's small block- then look at one for a 96 or up chevy with a vortec 5.7 and pay close attention to the nose cone where it hits the flywheel. the newer style is alot smaller and doesnt let nearly as much mud and muck within. then ask them to put them both on the starter tester(if applicable) and listen to the difference btwn the two. the vortec one is gear reducted and turns over alot easier also, so that was my solution to saving starters. i have ran the same one for around 2 years now and im very happy with it. u will need to use shorter bolts though since it is such a smaller starter but i assure you it will work. well hope ive helped ya lata ryan

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The flywheel changed around 1982, nit sure when. I put a 1971 350 in my '82 K-10 a long time ago, purchased a starter for a '82 and ruined about 30 teeth before I could get my fingers off the key switch. Number of teeth is different or sumthin'. Had to replace the flywheel. "The flywheel changed around 1982" is what my older brother (Chevy salesman) told me at the time.

4. teamgerth

teamgerth Registered Member

I have a 12:1 427 bbc with a 168 tooth flex plate, will that starter work for that flex plate. I am currently running a 4.4:1 nippondenso style starter and burn it up every time I hit the deep mud holes. It does't have a nose cone.