Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with wheel stud part numbers.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by marine_enlisted, Apr 26, 2004.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I got my new D60 SRW hubs and lockouts. I am ready to put these things together. I have been getting wheel studs five at a time from Autozone. (They will only get 5 per week in for some stupid reason) Can some one give me a good part number and place to get these damn things? The ones I have are all 3 different brands and sizes.
    I am having the same problem with the 14 bolt. The studs are real crusty on it and I want to replace them while I do my rear disc conversion. A good part # and reliable source for both would be much appreciated. My 14bolt FF is a early 70's vintage and the D60 is a '90 if it matters. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Best place I found for wheel studs is a tire shop that does tires/alignments/brakes, the works. I got mine cheaper there than autozone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I go to alianment shops for studs. They usually have more in stock or can get as many as you want in a day. Pretty cheap too.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

http://208.233.99.171/randb/default.asp?cookieID=1800M434Q&url=http%3A//208.233.99.171/randb/item.wws%3Fsku%3D98726%26mfr%3DPIK-A-NUT%26cookieID%3D1800M434Q%26drillid%3D13%26clientid%3Drandb%26clientid%3Drandb

http://208.233.99.171/randb/default.asp?cookieID=1800M434Q&url=http%3A//208.233.99.171/randb/item.wws%3Fsku%3D98739%26mfr%3DPIK-A-NUT%26cookieID%3D1800M434Q%26drillid%3D13%26clientid%3Drandb%26clientid%3Drandb

Don't know if those links will work for you or not.

If those boneheads at Autozone don't know how to order you as many studs as you want, that's really sad. I used to work there, they can order you whatever you want!! There is no excuse for you to be buying five a week until they restock. Tell them to check other stores and have them transferred in, or to VDP order you whatever quanity you want. (tell them to press the orange button and type in the part number)

Those two links take you to the Dorman site. That's what we carry at my work. I can get them by the box if you like (as many as you want, if you want 5,000 by tomorrow afternoon, I can have them).

They're kinda heavy so they'd be a bitch to ship, and although I can get you a better-than-retail price, I'm prohibited from buying them on my employee account and then not using them for myself.

Either way, ANY auto parts store can get them for you no problem. Just find someone that knows what they're doing. If all else fails I have no problem getting a part for a fellow CK5 member. Wheel studs are among the easiest parts to sell in auto parts though, I have no clue why your retailer isn't up to the task.

5. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the links, Tim. I used to work at AutoZone as well and the idiots at this one always amaze me. Last night I went to buy caliper/rotors and such for my rear disc break swap. There was me and one other person in the store and the asshat behind the counter tries to tell me they don't carry caliper bolts for a 76 Chevy pickup. The guys there are a bunch of ricer fags. The thread pitch on a red anodized Honda shift knob is about as far as their parts knowledge reaches. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I always try to buy my parts at the "real" parts stores. The ones with the old man chainsmoking behind the counter, bikini girl calendars on the wall and 15 year old S.K tools on a pegboard behind the counter. There is at least one of those stores in every city that I have lived in and they always know their sh!t. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Tim, AZ down here is the same. I am waiting for a TRE to magically come in on the truck cause they have said I cannot order it without a special $12 charge (even though it is a stocked item) and I cannot buy it so I can have it when it comes in.

Dirty steve I ran the 5 stud shuffle too last week. Glad you got it worked out.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's really too bad. To be honest with you, having worked for Carquest and Autozone along with another store that sells auto parts, Autozone is by far the easiest place to be a competant counterman. Carquest is a huge challenge to find the right parts for people, but we definitely have more parts available.

Although we don't have people chain smoking in the store, we do have the dusty 20 year old tools behind the counter that nobody buys but they're Stanley's professional line (Proto).

What kills me is that Autozone's cataloging is so damn simple. I miss working there to be honest. It was sooooooo easy in those days to find parts for people. Now I struggle with catalogs half the time trying to find the information that I used to read off the computer screen in much less time--but the benefit is that when I find the part number, it is ALWAYS available somehow and I don't have to tell a guy, "Uh, no, that's not available."

Not to say that AZ is a bad place though, it's a great place to work and if you have a clue there are so many parts you can get for customers, just sadly they don't pay enough to its hard to find good people there.