Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with winching theory

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 53chevy, Oct 24, 2005.

1. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't think this is in the right place. Well, I need to do a senior physics mini project and i want to do it on something I like. I can do this on almost any thing physics related. Do you guys have any ideas like explaining on how truck winching and the different aspects of physics in trucking. Any info or Links are greatly apprecitated. Thanks Guys

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Dont know if this will help for what your doing but go to pirate 4x4, get on there tech area and Billa Vista has the most amazing winch info I've ( uneducated redneck) seen.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

HS level physics or college level physics?

There's torque multiplication in the reduction gears, but torque loss in the cable layers left on the drum. Rigging has gains and losses (power vs. speed). There's losses in angled pulls, but that's almost more a statics calc than a physics calc.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If it is a calc based physics you can use angle of pull to upright a long beam. And then investigate the best height/angle of pull for a given length/weight of the beam.